I am a shill bid victim on ebay and get no help

Shill bidding alert! This seller in Jaipur, India has guest accounts bidding for his items, you can see them in their auction listings,

just click over to the bids link and you will notice bidders on his listings with feedbacks of 349 etc, Now notice the bidder with (0) feedback, thats the one that inflates the price,

if you look at the completed history you will see the one with the (0) wins or the seller ended the listing. Another check into his sold listings the same thing! to avoid detection from the algorithym they pay their whatever percent selling fee to look like the item sold.

Another issue i found was on his feedback was only 4 items in the past month with feedback. How is it possible to sell over a hundred items and only get 4 feedbacks in a month?

After 7 years i'm tired off trying to comply with the ever changing policies ebay has and its automated dispute reporting is garbage. Fruadulent sellers and some buyers have literally taken over this platform.  after 1 year on shopify it's time to promote my own brand instead of ebay"s.

Good luck here and buyer and seller beware on this platform lol.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Let's start with automatic bidding.

If an item opens at $10, and I bid $50, I will show as the high bidder at ....$10.

If you then bid $20, my high bid becomes $21, one increment above your bid.

If you bid and bid and bid, I will remain the high bidder until you bid $55, at which point, my maximum bid has been surpassed and you become the high bidder at $51.

I might think you knew my maximum bid, but you only uncovered it by pushing up and up.

Now.

You have bid several times with a seller, but have lost to 0 feedback bidders.

But a shill bidder does not want to win.

If he does the seller must pay fees on the auction. If either cancels the purchase, the seller is still out the time the auction went on and does not get even the marginally acceptable price the underbidder was willing to pay.

they pay their whatever percent selling fee to look like the item sold.

One of the dumbest possible business plans.

"Let's set up an auction and make sure that we not only don't make money, but actually pay for not making money!"

So you don't look for winning bidders.

You look for bid retractions.

The shill bids and bids until he shows as the winner, then before the auction is over, retracts his bid, leaving YOU as the winner.

If you are losing, there is no shilling.

on his feedback was only 4 items in the past month with feedback. How is it possible to sell over a hundred items

Feedback is voluntary, and soooo 20th century.

It is not used by eBay as a measure of a member's account. A historical relic.

I have another account set up recently, which has 50 odd sales for which I left FB, and 5 return FB, one of which is from seller I bought from.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

has guest accounts bidding for his items

You have no idea if they are "guest" accounts, eBay hides bidder names, including your own. Only the Seller and yourself can see your eBay name.

How is it possible to sell over a hundred items and only get 4 feedbacks in a month?

India has been under lockdown (April to June), so should be no surprise that recent Seller feedback is low. https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/india-coronavirus-reopening-1.5619518

However, based on their neutral and negative feedback I would not consider them a good Seller.  I would also have low trust in any auction starting at 10 cents with free shipping to Canada.

ebay bid lifting.png

Bidder 1 makes a max bid of $14 on June 27

Bidder 2 (you, I assume) makes max bids of $8 and $9 on June 29

Bidder 1 cancels their bid shortly before the end of the auction on June 30

Bidder 3 makes a max bid of $9 a few seconds later making your bid the high bid.

Auction ends a few minutes later.

Not exactly shill bidding, but it does look like a scheme to push the winning bid up.

tyler@ebay 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply