I have a seller that wants more for shipping.

dkal10
Community Member

I just bought an item and the seller just messaged me back claiming that the amount for shipping was not enough so they are not going to send it. They also claim they didn't uncheck the box for international shipping when posting the listing but they will not ship internationally. I would like the item I bought so what should I do? Thanks. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@dkal10 wrote:

I just bought an item and the seller just messaged me back claiming that the amount for shipping was not enough so they are not going to send it. They also claim they didn't uncheck the box for international shipping when posting the listing but they will not ship internationally. I would like the item I bought so what should I do? Thanks. 

You do not say what country you bought from.  The seller may have made a mistake, it is easy to do, especially for a new seller.  

If the listing appeared to indicate that the item is available to you, ie, has a shipping fee included to Canada, and you have paid for it, then technically you have done all that is required of you.  

A seller is not allowed to ask for more money AFTER the sale.  On the other hand you can't force the seller to ship it to you.  

If the seller will not ship without the extra, your choice is to pay it or to refuse.  

You keep saying the seller is not going to send it, and not going to ship internationally, so I'm a bit confused if you are saying the seller will mail it at all or not. 

If you refuse and the seller does not ship, they will have to refund you.  When the seller refunds and cancels the sale it could lead to a 'defect' (like a demerit point) on their selling account.  

Is the shipping fee really too low?  You can go to the country's postal website and guesstimate the shipping cost of the item to you. 

A decent seller would just pay the extra out of their "cookie jar insurance" they save up for these sorts of things.  If they won't send it without the extra money, not much you can do.  You can report the seller to eBay over it, and you may be able to leave feedback to voice your displeasure if you are so inclined, but you can't make the seller mail the item.  

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

If you're comfortable posting the listing number so we can find out more about the listing's terms of sale and seller's location, that would be helpful so that we can give you better advice.

Without this information, I'm viewing this from the perspective that this is a US seller who did not specify any shipping information to Canada in the listing and feels that they have to ship the item to Canada for the rate that was automatically inserted into the eBay invoice.  They don't realize that it's usually pretty clear on the listing page that that rate only applies to a shipment within the United States.

There's also the possibility that if they're claiming that they didn't "uncheck the international shipping box" that they just took a wild guess at the international shipping rate they posted and now they realize they lowballed themselves.  Or perhaps they think they have to send the item by parcel post (Priority International) when a lower-priced letter post (First Class International) rate was calculated for the listing.

Without a sense of what was posted in the listing by the seller, it's a bit challenging to advise you on how to proceed from here.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Another possible scenario may have something to do with the Global Shipping Program and the seller being enrolled in the program without knowing it.  They may think they have to ship the item directly to you when, in fact, they have to ship it to a forwarding centre in Kentucky.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hi Vivian, The listing did include a shipping fee to Canada and I have paid for it. Since I last posted the Seller did ship the item after I messaged back that if it is just a matter of an additional $10 to cover shipping I would be happy to pay. Now the seller has sent me a Paypal invoice for 23$. Clearly she miscalculated for the shipping but as a seller myself (on a different site) asking for more money after the transaction has gone through is just bad business and it doesn't sit well with me. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It sounds like the seller shipped the item to you, but that another $23 has been requested while the item is already on the way to you.

I actually have an identical scenario going on right now.

I bought an item from a seller and paid for it, and then saw a second item of mild interest depending on the cost of shipping.

Seller told me he'd ship at no added cost and then emailed after shipping and requested another $20.  I know it's not a made up charge because the second item was heavier and larger.

Now what am I supposed to do with that?  Had I been given that information prior to the purchase I wouldn't have bought it.

In your case: If it's already on the way to you as you seem to be saying, then there is no wrong answer.

If the seller is requesting additional money before shipping then let your "desire for the item" be your guide.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Sounds similar but it seems to me asking for funds after the transaction has been completed is just wrong. In some cases I'm sure it is genuine but it could also be a ploy to get more money. I wonder if Ebay has any regulations concerning asking for more money after the sale is completed?
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

A seller is obligated to complete the sale as agreed to in the listing.

However, once in a while a seller will ask for more money after the sale.  It happens.  Moreover, they can get very indignant and nasty if they don't get their way.

If the seller hasn't shipped yet and you really want the item it's best just to pay up.  I recently had a seller cancel a sale when I wouldn't send her extra money.  

Although you can report the seller etc., that won't get your item to you so if you really want the item, it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong.  It's just a choice you'll have to make.

If the item has already been sent, well, that's another story.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@dkal10 wrote:

The listing did include a shipping fee to Canada and I have paid for it. Since I last posted the Seller did ship the item after I messaged back that if it is just a matter of an additional $10 to cover shipping I would be happy to pay. Now the seller has sent me a Paypal invoice for 23$. Clearly she miscalculated for the shipping but as a seller myself (on a different site) asking for more money after the transaction has gone through is just bad business and it doesn't sit well with me. 

What is the shipping method stated on the listing page?  What shipping method is the seller using to ship the item if not the one stated in the listing?

My guess is that the listing is stating "International Priority Shipping"--otherwise known as the Global Shipping Program--and the seller is charging for and using a shipping method to ship the item directly to you rather than having the GSP forward it.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply