Is my seller trying to pull one over

I won a watch at auction a few days ago, and after several attempts to contact te seller he finally responded with this message (Hey sorry, I did not realize i chose the shipping that I chose for this watch. it may cost more to ship that was paid for the watch and shipping combined. I can refund if you wish.) I know I won the watch at a lower price than the seller probably wanted, but I paid promptly and shipping was $18.34USD. Opinions or suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

So the seller cancelled the transaction, I have no recourse, funny how easy it is for sellers to still behave this way.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

If the seller cancelled the transaction without your consent, he’s received what’s called a defect on his account and too many of these defects will make it impossible for him to sell. eBay doesn’t hold in high regard sellers who fail to follow-through on their commitments to buyers but they do recognize that mistakes sometimes happen. The same as how buyers are not allowed an infinite number of Unpaid Item strikes but they are allowed a few because many people make some mistakes.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Did you receive an email from eBay about the your seller cancelling the transaction? If so, can you share the wording of the email?  Please edit out any personal info, yours or theirs.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Did the cancellation say that it was buyer requested or problem with address?  If so, I would phone ebay to point out that it was a seller iniated cancellation, not a buyer requested one.  Otherwise, it’s likely that the seller won’t get a defect for this and it is problems like this that make buyers shop somewhere else.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Don't forget to leave the appropriate feedback:

https://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveFeedback2

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It was very evident to me that the buyer was wanting more money than he got. He told me as much, offers refund, I say no thank you I want the item. Within a minute seller cancels the sale stating the item is damaged. Not once in our correspondence did he mention any defect. Straight up lied to me and eBay. In the end after numerous discussions with eBay reps, seller had a strike made against his account. I have had this happen to me as a seller, but my philosophy is to bite the bullet and honor the sale, which is how it should be done.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

To snoopwiz, I never received notification mail regarding him cancelling the sale. I had to call and ask an eBay rep.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If the reason he used for the cancellation that the item was damaged than he would have received a defect.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Sellers are not allowed to demand more money for shipping after the sale.

We're supposed to suck it up if we make mistakes.

Was the seller in Canada? When we Search on dotCOM we often see listings that are not available to us here, which is annoying but is the seller's choice.

Always check the shipping tab before bidding.

But you are right.

The seller is wrong.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

"Cancelled without my consent after demanding higher shipping." would cover it, I think.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply