Most Chinese sellers seem to be out of their office untill Feb.11

I thought it would be a good business practice to let their potential customers know that no orders will get processed until they are back in their office.

Of all the listings I've looked at only a handful  have done so. I know this may sound syndical but I think that's just being too sneaky. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@patken123 wrote:

I thought it would be a good business practice to let their potential customers know that no orders will get processed until they are back in their office.

I know this may sound syndical but I think that's just being too sneaky. 

Nothing sneaky about that.  As a Canadian seller, I feel no need to tell potential buyers that I will not be shipping on a Canadian holiday.

If you buy from China you can check what their holidays are.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/china/index.php

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

"Nothing sneaky about that. As a Canadian seller, I feel no need to tell potential buyers that I will not be shipping on a Canadian holiday."

You think that is a fair comparison?  4-6 week shipping period without the holidays can turn to 8 weeks or longer, some sellers may think that might deter the buyers so why announce it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You missed the Lunar New Year?

It comes every year right after Imbolc.

Our local Fairway supermarket chain (owned by a Sino-Canadian family) had lots of specials in their flyer this week.

Including perogies, spaghetti sauce, and bricks of Havarti cheese.

They've been in Canada a looooong time.

2019-year-pig-chinese-new-450w-1055777402.jpg

Although we say Chinese New Year, it is also celebrated in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. And I think in Thailand, Tibet, and possibly Indonesia.
About a quarter of the world population if you include the diaspora.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The point I'm trying to make is, some sellers inform their customers right on top of their listings in orange bracket, we will be out of the office until Feb. 11...."
but some don't, I appreciate that bit of info before I click on pay now, what I'm trying to say is, if for reasons like holidays, postal strike, weather conditions, etc. a seller can not adhere to the pre-determined shipping dates, it only makes sense to let their customers know rather than letting the onus be on the customers to know all the holidays around the world or which countries are in the middle of a postal strike, or if a tsunami is about to hit such and such place and disrupt mail deliveries.
I wonder how many of us willingly pay for an item and after finding out that the seller can't ship as advertised.
I love and respect you all, we just have a difference of opinion in good customer service.

I know I'll be hearing about my due diligence, but that's just another way of saying, we are not obligated to perform the public , in other words, passing the buck.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I agree. There is a big difference from not shipping on a holiday Monday to taking  a week or weeks off from shipping. Those sellers should either do what we would advice others here to do if they were going away for more than a couple of days...delete their listings if they don't have a store or if they have a store....hide their listings OR change their handling time and set up their vacation settings so that there is a note at the top of each listing letting buyers know there will be a shipping delay.

Personally, I don't think just changing handling time is enough because that isn't always available to see on the listing, plus buyers don't always even know to look for that.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

pjcdn2005 :
" I don't think just changing handling time is enough because that isn't always available to see on the listing, plus buyers don't always even know to look for that."

That's another option I did not think of , as you mentioned there's always a chance that some buyers may not even look for that shipping/handling time but at the very least it is there to be noted. I know I always do.
Buyers may not show their appreciation but it creates some level of confidence or trust when a seller puts it all on the table , what could possibly be wrong with this way of thinking.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I notice that they have increase their shipping charges as well. <lol>. Perhaps it's easier to do this then take the listing down until the holiday season is over. Or maybe they no longer want to ship to Canada

Annotation 2019-02-09 012546.jpg

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Probably the former.

But didn't eBay make the scam of overcharging for shipping 'illegal' around the time they started charging shipping FVF?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

That listing excludes a lot of countries so if they didn’t want to ship here we would probably be on that list.  Shipping to all other countries listed is free so I wonder  if they put the shipping price high during the rotating strikes when CP didn’t want to accept incoming international packages and they forgot to change it back.??

just a guess...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I don't understand the logic behind higher shipping charges either.

There' seems to be no rhyme or reason on how they determine their shipping cost, the same items with higher shipping charge can be found sold by other sellers for free. I would understand the higher cost if items were shipped faster but that's not usually the case.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

There doesn't seem to be any difference in shipping cost to Canada or the USA or for that matter to Germany.

https://www.chinapostaltracking.com/service/small-parcel-rate/

We're all Zone 2.

And the yuan is worth ~$0.19 Cdn.

But this indicates that a 200gr Air Mail package costs a Chinese shipper about $10Cdn (unless I missed a decimal point).

Message 12 of 12
latest reply