My account was charged 5 times for an item that kept failing to checkout

domlob_65
Community Member
I just tried to checkout a $20 item on ebay using a debit card that had $80 loaded on it.

When I clicked pay there was some error that told me to add a valid card, but I already had a valid card added.

I tried to check out again a few more times and it said my card had insufficient funds.

I thought that maybe I misread my account total before, so I transferred some more money and tried again.

Same problem happened where it said my card was invalid. I look at my account again and now it was missing the amount that the item cost.

So now I have about $100 missing from my account due to these failed transactions and I have no record of my purchase on ebay.

I’m guessing its a software glitch and will call ebay to see if they can sort it out, and if not I’ll just order a charge back

I was just curious if this was a common problem lately. I’ve been seeing some posts from people complaining that ebay stole their money
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As far as I know eBay doesn't allow for you to pay with a Debit Card directly from the site. You can have a Debit Card set up in Paypal and use it through the Paypal link here. I ran into a similar issue when I was given a Prepaid Mastercard. It wasn't recognized as a payment method here so I linked it to my Paypal and was able to use it that way.

As far as I know eBay only accepts Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Google and Apple Pay.

I'm not sure when you say you "loaded" your card that it might be a prepaid card. The big mystery is why you'd get the error message that it was invalid but they took the funds anyways. Definitely try to talk to eBay about that, otherwise contact your bank the Debit card was with. Good luck! And if you want to use debit in the future, link it up with Paypal, this way you have double protection as a buyer since Paypal buyer protection is for 180 days, and you'll still have eBay's basic protection. Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

These are the social media accounts covered by eBay employees.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

Bonus: you get a transcript so you can review what you were told with what you think you were told.

In my opinion, the safest way to pay for online purchases (on any site) is to use Paypal backed with a credit card. In addition to eBay's Money Back Guarantee and PP's Buyer Protection policy, the card probably has a chargeback provision.

With bank balances, debit cards, and gift cards, there is no mechanism for refunding.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

With bank balances, debit cards, and gift cards, there is no mechanism for refunding.

@femmefan1946 

Where do you see that or why do you say that? 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply