Need advice with my return

grnf-14
Community Member

Bought a video card that was advertised as 100% working.

The fans do not work and after 2 or 3 days the lighting failed.

I requested a return and it was granted. The seller refused to send a prepaid label or cover return shipping upfront.

I'm currently out of pocket over 150 bucks cdn on this deal and it will cost a further 37cdn to ship it back, why should I have to spend even more money when the seller is responsible for the return cost.

He is basically holding my refund as hostage.

Ebay says they can get involved today yet I cant find a link anywhere to get them involved. I click return details and all it says it seller cant pay make arrangements blah blah blah... and enter my tracking. Cant find the link for ebay resolution 

advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005! There should have been. 

Sorry that you had trouble with this purchase @grnf-14 - it looks like you've pursued other options outside of eBay for assistance with this item. Should you run into a situation in the future like this you can definitely contact customer support by phone (this link, then scroll to the bottom and choose 'Call us' or 'Have us call you') or social media (Twitter or Facebook) for assistance so they can help get it sorted for you.  Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

tyler@ebay 

Should there be a link to ask ebay to help in this situation?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The first step is usually to ask the seller to refund.But if he refuses to cooperate, you call in your Buyer Protections.

If it has been less than 30 days since Delivery, eBay's Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

The reason is on the second page- Not As Described/Not Working.

It will be suggested that you contact the seller, you've done that, so move on to Ask eBay to step in and escalate to a Claim.

The seller will be told to send you  return shipping.

If he is not in Canada you may have to tell him how much TRACKED return shipping will cost.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If he still refuses, you can ask eBay to send you a label (pdf which you can print out). They will charge him for this.

When the tracking shows the item back with the seller you will be refunded.

If more than 30 days have passed, you are still covered by Paypal.

PP allows 180 days from payment for a Dispute.

The system is basically the same, but PP requires the buyer to pay for return postage-- so start with eBay.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

When the tracking shows delivery you will be refunded.

And if neither of those work, you are also covered by the chargeback policies of the credit card you use to back you PP account.

BTW-- if the item was advertised as "not working- for parts" you cannot win the dispute.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

In another thread @pjcdn2005   wrote:

But since there are no replies and since I can't reply there (only certain posters can reply on that particular board) I'll answer here.    If it has been less than 30 days since delivery go to your purchase history in ebay and click on return or go to the resolution center and open a return there. If you choose the reason for return such as item not working, it will be considered a not as described dispute and the seller will be required to pay for return shipping. 

It looks like the seller is outside of Canada so they won't be able to send you a label so you will have to let them know how much return shipping with delivery confirmation will be and they are supposed to send you the money through PP for the label.  Is the seller in the UK?  If so, Tracked Packet International might be ok however there is only $100 insurance included.  Otherwise, Xpresspost international is the next option but that is very expensive.  If the seller is in Asia, Xpresspost is the only option with delivery confirmation.  You can check the price on Canada Post     https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s3

If the seller doesn't send you the money you can ask ebay to step in and they may either send you a label or refund you without requiring a return.   Tyler, can you confirm that there if the seller approves the return but doesn't send a label or money for a label, there will be an option for the buyer to ask ebay to step in?

Do not pay for the label or send the item unless the seller provides the money or label.  eBay cannot force the seller to pay for shipping if you buy the label on your own. Do not use small packet or any type of surface option as the first doesn't have delivery confirmation and surface will take months.

We always get solid advice from this member.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I'm sort of confused as to what a video card has to do with fans and lighting so perhaps there was a typo or I just don't know what a video card controls. thinking

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm sort of confused as to what a video card has to do with fans and lighting so perhaps there was a typo or I just don't know what a video card controls. thinking

High performance video cards can get very hot so they have dedicated fans attached to cool them. Some gaming video cards can have LED lighting to be seen through clear gaming computer cases. Some gaming computers can be quite beautiful in appearance. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I had no idea! Thank you for the explanation. 🙂

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @pjcdn2005! There should have been. 

Sorry that you had trouble with this purchase @grnf-14 - it looks like you've pursued other options outside of eBay for assistance with this item. Should you run into a situation in the future like this you can definitely contact customer support by phone (this link, then scroll to the bottom and choose 'Call us' or 'Have us call you') or social media (Twitter or Facebook) for assistance so they can help get it sorted for you.  Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I have not looked outside ebay for help with this other than filing a charge back with my credit card company.

He charged me 45USD for shipping and offered 14 bucks once he received the package.

There is NO CONTACT EBAY link in my return details thats why I am here asking for help.

I will call ebay today and see what can be done. I could be a dick and keep the item and leave it alone. the credit card company always sides with the card holder so my refund is guaranteed either way but I'm trying to send this back to him like I am supposed to. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I called ebay like you said to do.

They have stepped in and are giving the seller 5 days to send a pre paid label or they or ebay will refund me and I can keep the item if he doesn't send one by the 13th of Jan

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I have not looked outside ebay for help with this other than filing a charge back with my credit card company.

To be clear, filing a chargeback (or a Paypal Dispute) IS looking outside eBay, since either is a different company.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply