Negative feedback removed without reason

Hi,

I bought a Victorian chain. The seller mentioned that the chain was in good condition and that he had inspected every link to make sure of that.

When I received the chain, it was damaged and I had it repaired. I mentioned this to the seller and he said that it was not possible that it was damaged at first. After I mentioned that the jeweler confirmed that it was damaged, he apologized for making a mistake.

When I received the repaired chain, my Jeweler mentioned that I should not wear this chain often since it is heavily damaged and cannot be restored.

I left feedback that was negative to the seller's account saying "Damaged. Will not do business again". That feedback which complied with eBay's rules regarding feedback was removed for no apparent reason.

I called eBay and the first person I spoke with mentioned that the feedback should never have been removed and that I should open a case for return in order to get a reimbursement since the seller had the feedback removed for no valid reason.

As per the instructions of ebay, a case was opened and eBay ruled in favor of the seller since " I had made modifications to the item".

Please note that I only opened a case after the review was removed and would never have opened it if the feedback was left on the seller's page.

I filed an appeal with eBay explaining that I wanted a reimbursement since eBay did not follow their own rules on feedback and that the information that was given to me was that I would be able to get a reimbursement if I returned said item.

EBay is now saying that I have no recourse.

What can I do?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The best course of action if you receive an item that's not as described is to return it. It's also generally your only course of action as a buyer. If you fix it yourself without speaking to the seller about it first, you've negated any further action you can take. The same would apply if you bought a toaster at a big box store and it didn't work. You'd have to take it back for a refund. Their Customer Service couldn't repay you for having it fixed by a third party. That being said, you can try to call Customer Service again and see if they might give you something as a courtesy only, assuming your account is in good standing. The seller cannot do anything for you at this point, and that's the reason your feedback was removed: your actions circumvented any claims you could make under the MoneyBack Guarantee that would have protected you.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I understand what you're saying. If an item arrives damaged and that damage was not disclosed in the item description, why can I not right a negative review?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If you had not opened the case and then ‘lost’ it, your negative feedback for the seller would likely have been allowed to stand. The removal of feedback left when a case is lost is usually automatic.

It’s an unfortunate series of events. I don’t doubt that you did what seemed logical and prudent at the time by fixing the item that arrived broken but the terms of the MoneyBack Guarantee are one-size-fits all and as such apply to all situations equally despite extenuating circumstances. As a buyer or seller, it’s hard to know how to handle a transaction gone sour without doing that research first.

I would encourage you to call Customer Service a third time and explain your frustration. They may offer you some consolation, or at least an opportunity to give them your thoughts as well.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi, I did leave the review before opening a case and would never have opened a case if the feedback had been left. Why did ebay remove the negative feedback that complied with their policies?
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Because you only get one kick at the can.

You can leave feedback if you are unhappy with a transaction (or delighted with it).

No one reads feedback except the seller's future buyers and some sellers who are checking you out for possible problems. EBay does not use feedback to assess members.

OR

You can open and win a Dispute.

But once you lose a Dispute, you are considered to be the party who was wrong and are not allowed to continue the fight through feedback.

BTW- although you lost an eBay Dispute, you can still open a new Dispute with Paypal, but you will have to pay for tracked return shipping before you would be refunded.

If you back your PP account with a credit card, you have a third appeal through their chargeback service, but card policies differ.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I bought a computer motherboard, cpu, memory, ssd, cpu cooler.

Seller is a real clown rude and nasty.

First the ssd is 30mm long and mounts under board whaich can only mount an 80mm ssd.

Power supply heat sinks for mother board were removed by seller.

CPU cooler doesn't fit and sits on memory sticks and motherboard parts, one leg bent.

Also overcharged me shipping 3lbs at $50.00

On and on this stupid circus. Over six weeks ago.

After calls to paypal and more FINALLY was able to get a refund after shipping this junk back at $28.00 despite their stating NO RETURNS.

I had to get eBay also involved with this clown.

So I left valid accurate negative feedback about the junk sold and sent back.

Fifteen minutes later the feedback was gone; this clown got it removed.

So you can never ever trust the feedback..........

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I don't know why the feedback was removed but I'm curious as to why it took 6 weeks to settle this.  If you had opened a return request through ebay using the reason as 'item not as described' the seller should have sent you a return label and then refunded you once the item was returned.  You still wouldn't end up with the item that you wanted but the refund should have been relatively painless.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Did the chain come from a seller in Calgary ?  If so, I had a similar experience.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply