Not a full refund.

stlajeu88
Community Member
Hello all. A few weeks back I purchased an item that was cancelled by the seller within hours. I was refunded cost and shipping right away. Total purchase price was 248.86, and I was only refunded 229.66. The difference is what PB charged for GSP. Ebay originally told me something about invoices on the 15th and last day of the month. Don't have a clue what that has to do with my refund. Now they tell me that I was refunded full amount and that the almost $20 missing must be exchange rates...which is a pile of BS. The rates did not fluctuate that badly in a few hours. The seller never even sent the item anywhere as he said his wife had already sold it to someone else. I sent screenshots of my bank statement showing what I paid and what I was refunded. But now they are ignoring me. How do I get the rest of my money back?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Not a full refund.

use the ebay facebook page, talk to an agent there, they will help you out..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

Normally with a gsp refund you would receive it in 2 payments, one of them from the gsp.  If you just received one payment,it might take a few days to receive the import/international shipping fees.  If it has already been longer than a few business days then you might want to contact eBay again.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly what I was going to post. Its always been an odd way of doing it. Even as an experienced buyer it's made me question the refund when I did once. Now why cant ebay explain that to the customer makes little or no sense.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

I never did get my money back. They said it was because of the exchange rate, and stopped replying when I proved the exchange did not fluctuate in under 6 hours THAT drasticlly. Maybe a penny or two, but not the EXACT amount the GSP was. I've since stopped using Ebay for that reason alone. I don't have $20 to loose if someone does this to me again!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

marnotom!
Community Member

The "exchange rate" we usually see in the news, etc. is actually the mid-market or median between a currency's "buy" and "sell" rates.  You can see on this page that they're quite different:

https://www.tdcommercialbanking.com/rates/index.jsp

My guess is that your purchase amount was converted at a rate based on the US dollar "buy" rate and your refund was converted at a rate based on the US dollar "sell" rate.  It's one of the pitfalls of purchasing from the US, unfortunately.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

facebook??

what if you block facebook and avoid it like the plague?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

sounds like a scam to me

OP I would contact the claims dept of your bank and do a charge-back.

If you paid $ xxx CAD you should get $ xxx CAD back

they are straight up robbing you

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Not a full refund.

The seller received US dollars, the buyer paid US dollars that had been converted from Canadian dollars. The buyer was refunded in US dollars that were then converted to Canadian dollars.

Apart from that, there’s actually a lot we don’t know about this transaction.  I’m not even clear on whether this actually WAS a GSP-facilitated sale and if the OP paid two charges in the first place. We’d have to go through all the steps the OP did and have access to their banking information to really figure out what happened here.

As it is, the OP first posted on this issue back in February and only followed up a couple of weeks ago.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply