Overcharged shipping due to eBay's automatic invoicing?

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but I figured this would be closest to getting the attention of any buyers who have had a similar experience.

I have been buying from a certain seller on and off for a few years now and have never had any real problems.  Recently though, I learned that eBay's invoicing cannot handle more than 40 items from the same seller at one time and when I was checking out, I saw that the invoice would include several shipping fees.

Before I was aware of this information, I would always just check out and pay via Paypal and believed everything was accurate which should have been the case since back then I would never have more than 40 items in a single invoice.  Now though, when I noticed this and messaged the seller about the invoicing issue, they replied saying since I already paid there is nothing they can do for me.

I never really understood the invoicing process since I am just a buyer but shouldn't the seller have at least let me know about this invoicing issue out of courtesy, granted I know they are not exactly obligated to do so realistically?  Who is exactly responsible for the invoicing ending up the way it did?  Is there any chance at all to get refunded the difference that I overpaid?

Should I take this up with the seller personally or should I contact eBay directly?  Also, would Paypal transaction statements and the eBay purchase history be enough to help this case?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

it appears you are dealing with an over seas seller, your best bet is to talk to the seller first.. if you where planning on buying 40 plus items you should have reached out to the seller first.. i have no idea what the maximum items purchased per invoice is..

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

they replied saying since I already paid there is nothing they can do for me.

Hmmmm. Uh-huh.

He is right that eBay cannot handle very large multiple orders.

He is right that the shipping charges are automatically added if he has set up his invoicing with International Shipping that tells eBay how much to charge for each item.

I thought the limit per order was a dozen, not 40, but that's good news.

And the price + shipping is what you agreed to pay when you placed the order, so technically, he is right.

But he seems to have decided to take the windfall profit of the postage overage.

Many sellers, in the same position, would go to Paypal and send you a Rebate as a 'thank you' for your large order.

This would have no effect on his eBay seller account.

He has decided not to.

Now you get to decide how much you will be ordering from him in future, given his attitude to your shipping costs.

There's a similar foofaraw on the Seller's Board over the newly implemented tax on shipping fees and how fees on refunded shipping is handled.

So sellers mostly don/t want to charge the buyer more , just as buyers don't want to pay more, than the actual cost of shipping**.

** The cost of shipping, by the way is more than the cost of postage. Bubblewrap ain't free, and there is both labour and tax involved. That's why I use 'shipping' instead of 'postage'. Just for the record.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

we would need to know how much you paid extra to make a fair judgement against the seller.. were all items .10 cents to ship or 10$.. it makes a difference..
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

*******************UPDATE*******************

Thanks for the replies first of all, but here is an update on the matter and a little example for clarification,

Scenario example:

I have 85 items won via auctions awaiting payment from a certain seller.  In their listings they mention winners of several auctions should wait for them to send a combined shipping invoice before proceeding with payment.  Due to the fact that I have over 40 items that need to be invoiced by the same seller apparently the invoicing gets messed up by eBay when they send it to me and should I proceed with paying at that time, I will have to make multiple separate transactions.  If I choose to email the seller instead for an updated invoice, then consequently my items will be grouped together (40, 40, and 5) and I can make just those transactions alone.

I have emailed the seller several times prior to checking out for an updated invoice and upon confirmation from them that they did, I proceed with checking out and notice that my purchases are still jumbled up.  Given that it was the final day to make the payment before a case is opened against me (they allow 28 days before making a payment) I proceed with making several transactions instead of the 40, 40, and 5 that I expected.  Afterwards, I email the seller again about what happened with the invoicing and they tell me since I paid already there is nothing they can do for me.

Concern:

Is there a reason to believe that I'm being overcharged for shipping because each time I check out I have to pay again for shipping when a bulk of the items could have been invoiced together?

Further Clarification:

Say I buy 10 books from the seller and each book is listed with a shipping price of $6.  They can definitely be combined for shipping but the invoicing gets jumbled up because I have more items that need to be paid; in the end I get 4 separate invoices for the books along with invoices for the other items.  Regarding the books, I get one with 4, one with 3, one with 2, and one with 1.  Since I have to pay for shipping each time I check out, is eBay's invoicing system overcharging me for shipping since it could have been combined into one?  In this case, does the fault lie with the seller or eBay?

Thanks again for any replies and in closing, I tried to see if I could edit my first post but ended up doing it this way because I couldn't find the edit button if there is one.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Not clear on what you mean by "all jumbled up".

The items are all ones you ordered and all from the same seller, right?

Do you mean you expect the programming to sort like with like (books with books, hairpins with hairpins, car parts with carparts)? That's not going to happen. It needs a human being to do that.

Also puzzled by the 28 days.

A non-US seller can open an Unpaid Item Dispute any time after four days from the order*, at a guess the seller has a much longer window than that.

Buyer initiated Disputes can be opened during the 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery.

So this may be a case of expectations.

You did order.

You did agree to the shipping.

You do owe the seller the invoiced price.

The only problem with multiple invoices for large orders, is that the Seller pays more to PP in fees. (Each invoice requires a payment from the seller of 30 cents + 2.9% of the total of that invoice.)

Those fees have no effect on what you pay.

Are you being billed twice for some items?

Are some items being missed?

He can open 85(??!!) Unpaid Item Disputes if you don't pay.

I'm not sure how many UID Strikes that would give you.

As I said before, you can then leave calm and factual feedback for the seller.

*end of auction or purchase of Fixed Price item.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

BTW-- I notice a couple of things.

It's my understanding that while anime figures may be made in China/Hong Kong*, they are then sold to the Japanese company that ordered them.

If they are being shipped from China/HongKong, there is a good chance they are counterfeit.

I looked at three different sellers you have dealt with and either Japanese sellers have different Description styles or they are actually all the same seller with several IDs.

My reason is that the all give pricing for various combinations of multiple purchases-- which is fine, because that explains what will happen automatically with multiple purchases-- BUT all three then said that the buyer would be charged for tracking if the total went over $XX .

That's not allowed.

The advertised shipping price cannot be increased.

The seller can upgrade of course, but he does that for his own protection. (Tracking is a Seller Protection. Buyers have protection from eBay, Paypal and their credit card.)

The other thing was that the figurines from all three IDs often were 'unknown characters' not identified in the title or the description or the Item Specifics.

I just find that odd, because the manga/anime fen I know are very very precise about their faves. (A lot are also cosplayers who are even more specific.)

I could be thinking too hard.

*Taiwan is NOT a part of the People's Republic. And no Taiwanese would ever say that. Another reason to think your sellers may actually be shipping counterfeits from China.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Let's just put aside the finer details of his situation (whether the listing was a "buy it now" or a bidding auction)

I think what he means by "jumbled up" is that when he made a purchase for 40+ items at a time with the same seller...after requesting for an updated invoice...instead of one invoice listing all the items with one shipping fee...and checking out through PayPal only once...it got "jumbled up" into numerous groups (regardless of the items' category)...each group being charged a separate shipping charge...and having to checkout numerous times through PayPal...

...his concern is, how does he know whether or not he's been given the discount of combined shipping...or has he been charged for the full shipping fee for the 40+ items...given that combined shipping was available/allowed...

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Just out of curiosity...

If a seller is based in United States...claim their item is being shipped from Japan, but they are shipping VIA economy shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide...should I be concerned?

When I receive my item...on the package, it does have a customs declaration form from Japan with postage and everything...could the "economy shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan" be just a "form" of shipping they use to maybe cut costs...because I don't get tracking and it takes quite a long time for me to receive my package...

Thanks.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

on the package, it does have a customs declaration form from Japan with postage and everything...

Different story-- I see that a lot with philatelic catalogues. The Brits in particular often ship from Malta which, like China, has better rates and have made this into quite a business.

The catalogues are however printed in Britain (or possibly Netherlands, because: EU).

My concern is that a lot of anime figures do seem to be counterfeited and shipped from the manufacturer, with nothing going to the creators and copyright holders.

Many of my friends are writers and artists who think it would be nice to be paid for their work.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I know where you're coming from...I understand your "concern"...

But when I come upon a listing...I know what I'm looking at, the listing seems legit.  They claim it's 100% genuine/authentic.  And based on their feedback/reputation there's just not much doubt at that moment that the item is a "fake".  And when the item arrives, I check, to the best of my knowledge that the item is indeed what I believe to be authentic and as listed...and I'm not just saying ANIME FIGURES...it goes for pretty much anything.

BUT LET'S SAY, they use the "method" of shipment as mentioned in my previous post...so you're saying that it may just be cheaper to ship VIA China rates to cut costs and not necessarily mean that the item is coming straight from China and that it may be a counterfeit right?

Cause if not, it just sounds like that anything that is being shipped from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan* is going to be a counterfeit...with no credits going to the creators/copyright holders...but I'll never know...my purchases definitely depends on the seller's feedback ratings and reputation...

But I really get you.  I don't mind paying for the real deal...

*AND it seems (maybe not) you got a little defensive when Taiwan was listed along side with China/Hong Kong.  It probably doesn't mean anything and that's just how the seller/eBay decided to list it as an option.  I have no control over that (I just type what I see)...  And regarding the political status of Taiwan, how did that come into this...lol  But yea, it's weird...economy shipping is economy shipping, not sure why they were being so specific with the location...but good to know regarding the shipping thing...

BUT YEA, we got a little side tracked and maybe we should go back to the main problem regarding MESSED UP INVOICING THAT MAY HAVE OVER CHARGED THE BUYER FOR SHIPPING (where combined shipping was offered)...LOL

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

*******************UPDATE*******************

First and foremost, while I appreciate everyone's efforts in trying to contribute to solving the issue at hand, none of my concerns have been addressed thus far and it appears we are being unproductive, not to mention getting off-topic  I am not asking for technicalities and whatnot but rather just information on combined shipping invoices specifically.  I will make one thing clear though, this is not my area of expertise hence why I am inquiring here.

On to the matter at hand, I will try to be as concise as possible.  My concern is with regards to how eBay generates the combined shipping invoice for 40+ items and if this discrepancy will cause me to pay more for shipping.  This case leading to more transactions having to be done and being charged separate shipping for each invoice.  If someone has extensive knowledge in this area, please enlighten me as this is my main concern.

The example I gave was for 85 items, apparently when eBay generates the invoice for me at the time of winning the last auction in my purchases, instead of the three expected invoices (because eBay can't handle 40+ purchases at a time) of 40, 40, and 5, I get several "jumbled" invoices with maybe 3, 4, 5 etc. items in each one leading up to maybe eleven invoices total for the 85 items.  I am now aware of the 40+ rule but it is a fact that the seller already knew about this.  Since I asked for an updated invoice before checking out, should it not have been their responsibility to have had this set up correctly since eBay couldn't?

In closing, what I have underlined is exactly what I would like addressed.  Extra information is great but from my perspective, is irrelevant and will only serve to confuse me more and raise other issues.  Lastly, for future reference, while I don't exactly mind people digging into my purchase history and sellers I've dealt with, it would have been great if the subject matter remained undisclosed or rather discussed at length with me via PM instead.  It remains a fact that the authenticity of the items was not the issue to me and sorry if my thoughts appear to be here and there.  It's hard going back and forth trying to reply to everyone lol.

@esclyons;

it appears you are dealing with an over seas seller, your best bet is to talk to the seller first.. if you where planning on buying 40 plus items you should have reached out to the seller first.. i have no idea what the maximum items purchased per invoice is..

Yes, I am indeed dealing with an overseas seller and I have to add, I had reached out to them as per their listings several times before checking out and asking for an updated invoice; the problem is not whether I was planning on buying 40 plus items because at the time, I was unaware that eBay's invoicing could not handle more than 40 items at once but rather why was I being sent multiple scattered invoices when I should have been getting a combined one.

we would need to know how much you paid extra to make a fair judgement against the seller.. were all items .10 cents to ship or 10$.. it makes a difference..

I understand what you are trying to say here but like I mentioned, I am just a buyer, I do not know how much extra I paid because I did not get the combined shipping invoice nor is this my area of expertise.

@femmefan1946;

He is right that eBay cannot handle very large multiple orders.

He is right that the shipping charges are automatically added if he has set up his invoicing with International Shipping that tells eBay how much to charge for each item.

I thought the limit per order was a dozen, not 40, but that's good news.

And the price + shipping is what you agreed to pay when you placed the order, so technically, he is right.

I was not trying to distinguish who was in the right and who was in the wrong previously.  The price and shipping that I agreed to pay is technically speaking, yes, what I agreed to pay at the time of checking out but the seller stated in his listing, that customers who win multiple auctions should wait for a combined shipping invoice and that is what I expect to receive and pay.  I agreed to pay for combined shipping but due to what appears to be the fact that eBay messed up the invoicing I want to know if I'm being charged extra because I have to make additional transactions each with their own shipping charge.

Do you mean you expect the programming to sort like with like (books with books, hairpins with hairpins, car parts with carparts)? That's not going to happen. It needs a human being to do that.

This is a moot point.  I apologize in advance if it was never your intention but I can't help but feel like there's an implication here making me out to be a complete idiot.  I never expected the programming to sort like with like.  I expected it to do its job and send me a combined invoice.  Not multiple scattered invoices.

Also puzzled by the 28 days.

A non-US seller can open an Unpaid Item Dispute any time after four days from the order*, at a guess the seller has a much longer window than that.

Buyer initiated Disputes can be opened during the 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery.

To be specific, upon winning the first auction, I have 28 days to make the payment before an unpaid item case is opened against me, as per the seller's listing.

It's my understanding that while anime figures may be made in China/Hong Kong*, they are then sold to the Japanese company that ordered them.

If they are being shipped from China/HongKong, there is a good chance they are counterfeit.

Yes, more often than not, anime figures are licensed and approved in Japan, then sent to their manufacturing companies in China and made there.  I am aware of the risks that are involved with buying from Chinese sellers so to speak, and I avoid that.  Furthermore, when it comes to the more expensive figures, I will 99% of the time buy straight from the company's store as opposed to eBay even if the eBay sellers are Japanese, just for safe measure.

The other thing was that the figurines from all three IDs often were 'unknown characters' not identified in the title or the description or the Item Specifics.

I just find that odd, because the manga/anime fen I know are very very precise about their faves. (A lot are also cosplayers who are even more specific.)

I also find that odd and only noticed recently that their listings were changing like so but I generally avoid those altogether especially when I myself can identify the figurine and which series it's from.  I tend to buy boxed prize figures in these auctions so I will have both the original packaging and figure to determine whether it is counterfeit or not and to this date, the seller has not disappointed. 

My concern is that a lot of anime figures do seem to be counterfeited and shipped from the manufacturer, with nothing going to the creators and copyright holders.

Many of my friends are writers and artists who think it would be nice to be paid for their work.

It goes without saying and anyone who considers themselves a collector should not think otherwise.

@5274646;

...his concern is, how does he know whether or not he's been given the discount of combined shipping...or has he been charged for the full shipping fee for the 40+ items...given that combined shipping was available/allowed...

This lol, this is what I wanted to know.

If a seller is based in United States...claim their item is being shipped from Japan, but they are shipping VIA economy shipping from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan to worldwide...should I be concerned?

I do not know if this is mere coincidence but it would appear we are on the same page with regards to which seller we may be referencing.  But yes, I would like to know details regarding this too.  Does the seller have complete control over the way their shipping is set up?  In this case, even though it says it's shipping from Japan, because of the way shipping is listed is there a cause for concern that the item is actually being shipped from China instead?  Is that even allowed?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Sorry to go off topic, often these specific questions are consulted by others (notice that the number of views is greater than the number of answers) who have similar but different concerns.

Also these Boards are haunted by busybodies with too much time on our hands. Smiley Embarassed

it says it's shipping from Japan, because of the way shipping is listed is there a cause for concern that the item is actually being shipped from China instead?  Is that even allowed?

The main reason for requiring that the location of the product be given, rather than the location of the seller, is to give the buyer a chance to evaluate the time required for delivery and the cost of import fees (if any).
For example, if you bought a 2x4 pine joist from the USA, there would be no duty because of NAFTA. (it was the first thing I thought of).
But if it were shipped from Peru, with which we don't have a Free Trade agreement, there would be duty and the shipment would probably take longer.

In your specific case, the seller ships a bunch of sales to a reshipper in China and the reshipper uses the extremely low China Post rates to send them on to you.
Since the item is coming from a country we have no Free Trade Agreement with (neither Japan nor China) you may pay duty and other import fees.
Since it is coming from overseas, delivery time is longer than from North America, but Japan or China, time is moot.

It's allowed.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Great, thanks for the clear answer!  That pretty much settles it for any lingering concerns I had on that matter.  Now just the main issue is left if anyone with extensive knowledge/past experiences on the following situation, please enlighten me.

My concern is with regards to how eBay generates the combined shipping invoice for 40+ items and if this discrepancy will cause me to pay more for shipping.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Only the seller can sort. It should have been discussed prior to paying to get it clear. After the fact it is almost impossible unless all items are the same with the same shipping and combined shipping set up.

Ebay just sends an invoice for 40 and does not care what is in them.

What does it say on the listings for combined shipping as if there are many different products in the order with all different shipping rates there is really no way for Ebay to figure anything.

What were you expecting to pay (assuming you know) and what did you actually pay.

Only the seller can tell you that information and it will depend on how many different items with different shipping rules, prices for shipping, and what can actually be combined or not.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply