Package (From Russia to Canada)

Hey Ebay Friends.

I bought an item on April 11th from a seller located in Russia. I am located in Montreal, Canada.

The seller shipped the package on April 16th and from the tracking number it was released from the Russian custom on April 21th with the note " International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada".

Since that, nothing.

The Ebay page say that it would be at my door between May 4th-May 15th.

Just wondering if any of you has been still waiting from a package shipped from a country around Russian?

I know the Covid-19 Pandemic has delayed a lot of international delivery but there has been no update on the tracking number since April 21th. 

Thanks a lot for you help.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Package (From Russia to Canada)

It's possible that the tracking is for within Russia and once it leaves the country, it isn't scanned.  If it's registered mail, that would definitely be the case.  You have up to 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to file an item not received claim so if I were you I would wait at least a couple of weeks.  International and domestic mail seem to be moving slower these days.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

It's possible that the tracking is for within Russia and once it leaves the country, it isn't scanned.  If it's registered mail, that would definitely be the case.  You have up to 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to file an item not received claim so if I were you I would wait at least a couple of weeks.  International and domestic mail seem to be moving slower these days.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks ! 

Yes, I will wait a couple weeks before claiming the item "Not Received"

It's clearly not the seller's fault.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I agree that it would be polite to let your Russian seller know the current situation and that you will be back in touch on May 30, if it has not arrived before then.

This allows him to refund you if he wants to stay off eBay's radar since having a Dispute, even one promptly settled, is not good for his selling account.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

anecdotally there is a lot of "tracked" items from European countries that work this way - the tracking only applies in the country of origin.  Italy is the best example I can think of from my experience.  You go on the tracking page on their countries postal service website and tracking information ends when it leaves the country of origin.  Whether dishonest is or isn't a word that could be used about this practice, it certainly is misleading to customers in North America who expect tracking the entire way to destination.  

That being said I ordered from a Russian company around Xmas and it was also tracked in a similar way - ie knowledge of its immediate whereabouts disappeared off a cliff after it left Russia - and it got here in reasonable time with no problems.  That being said, I'm not sure much is getting anywhere in reasonable time these days so be patient, but if you feel it necessary or feel its been too long, go ahead and file the INR claim as, from a sellers perspective, whether we like it or not, buyers have the right to make a claim even though it sucks to have to refund a sale do to excessive shipping delays outside of our control.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Part of this is the replacment of Registered Mail with newer tracked services.
Registered Mail has been around since before there were postage stamps, though obviously there were postal services. At first they were called "money letters", by the way.

In Canada, Registration and the first rank of letter mail are decided by Parliament, all other rates are at the discretion of Canada Post.

There is a sullen joke that "Registered" is foreign for "Steal Me".

Whether it is because newer services like Expedited and Priority Mail are safer , or because Canada Post can set the rates to cover their actual costs, it has become the norm for Registered Mail to only be tracked domestically.

That's why you'll see warnings on the Seller Boards not to use it for international mail.

And some domestic mail services offers faster delivery for less money.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Hi!

I still did not received the package as June 3rd. It was shipped on April 14th from Russia. 

I know the pandemic delays a lot of parcels but its been almost 2 months.

Do you think its time to ask for a refund or wait a little longer? 

Thanks

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

it's time ask the seller what they are seeing from their end, of the tracking number.. Perhaps they can offer some advice, remember you only have 60 days with ebay to claim item not received,

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:

... only have 60 days with ebay to claim item not received,

30 days from last delivery date estimate for ebay.

180 days from date of purchase if bought through paypal.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Hi ! How are you?

Still did not received the package. 

I ask the seller on day 29 for a refund and he asked me to wait at least 80 days because thats what it took for a another package he send close to my country. 

Now its been 81 days, the tracking number is now expired. I ask for a refund through ebay but i am not covered with the 30 days ebay money back. What do I have to do if he do not wants to refund me?

I did pay trough paypal so i am illigable for the 180 days refund?

Thanks for your help

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

he asked me to wait at least 80 days

Sounds like a scam.

If it has been less than 30 days since the window for delivery gave you, go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received dispute.
If it has been less than 180 days from Payment, but the eBay deadline has passed, go to your Paypal account, and open a INR dispute in their Resolution Centre at the top of your PP account page.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller, but you've done that. Escalate immediately to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, DELIVERY) you will be refunded.

You also may be able to chargeback on the credit card you use to back your PP account, but work it the order given above.

If the item arrives after you have been refunded, you can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Yes, you can open an item not received claim through Paypal.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Well Good news, after months without updares. I just check the tracking on the Russian Post website and on monday it was received and its been cleared and released by the canadian customs in Toronto. It now said :  Departure from transit office of exchange.

Other thing now, i use to check the tracking with canada post and used to get tracking history.

Now after being cleared and release by customs, when i try to track it via Canada post website its said nothing. Only "Multiple Pin". 

What does this means?

A friend of mine said to me that canada post probably have delivered a new tracking number for tracking it within canada. Where can it find the new tracking if there is a new one?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Good to hear your package is moving through Canada now.

It was taking 3 months to receive packages from China and yours is from Russia so perhaps customs wanted to take a closer look and I'm sure they are backlogged.

I currently have a package that arrived in Canada June 24 and tracking was just updated July 20.

Jul 20, 2020 6:03pm Canada, Arrived at Facility
Jun 24, 2020 4:21pm Canada, Arrived at destination country airport

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Do you think you could post the tracking dates for this buyer to give them an idea of how long it took for your package to go through customs...

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/2-items-been-stuck-in-transit-from-Ukraine-Russia-without...
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

this is VERY common for all packages not just Europe and certainly not specifically Italy. Im in Canada and  receive at least 10 packages per week, of which 30 to 50% are from the US. Many USPS packages from the US stop or delay their shipping info once the package has left the US. I often have to re-use the USPS tracking number and insert it onto the Canada post webpage to get continued or up to date tracking information. 

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

ELVIS  (darak10) HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.  Months ago.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM MAY 2020

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them is often out of date or incorrect. In this case we are seeing problems from early in the pandemic when shipping was even more problematic than now.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply