Paying for an item with paypal and being unable to do so.

Maybe somebody can help me here. I saw an item that was for sale in the states and I live in Ontario, Canada. So I clicked on the buy now and it took me to the checkout but when it did the paypal option for it was greyed out and the message in red said I couldn't go that route even tho the seller advertised that was her preferred way of having people buy something from her. I emailed her and she said that was weird and said that the paypal option was down and to check for a glitch on my end.  I did so and got to my paypal page with no problem thru ebay.

I phoned ebay and discovered of all things that the number they gave me to call them is long distance from where I live. So had to put the 1 in front of the number. Then when I told the girl what was going on with it she had no clue as to why it wasn't going thru and that she would transfer my call to somebody else. Well by the time she did that they had closed and all I got was music or recordings of people saying somebody would be talking to me shortly or that my call was important to them to please stay on the line. If they had the decency to tell me that their offices or whatever were closed I would have hung up.  I checked and they wouldn't be back until 5 in the morning Saturday but there is no way I want to have an even bigger phone bill than ever. 

Is it such a thing that one has to have money in the actual paypal account itself in order to buy anything off of ebay? I have more than enough in my Other chequing account that I put the money into and have it linked to paypal. And even paypal stated that I don't have to have any money in the actual account in order to buy anything. I have gone this route with other US dealers that are not on ebay and never had a problem doing so. Thanks a lot. And to transfer the amount to paypal from my Other account takes 12 days.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@seahorse456 wrote:

I clicked on the buy now and it took me to the checkout but when it did the paypal option for it was greyed out and the message in red said I couldn't go that route

Is it such a thing that one has to have money in the actual paypal account itself in order to buy anything off of ebay? 

If the seller has their listings set up for Immediate Payment Required then you will not be able to do a PayPal e-cheque.  If you attach a credit card to your PayPal account that should take care of the problem.  Either that or load your PP account with enough money ahead of time.  

If you want to call eBay, use the Help & Contact link at the top or bottom of the page.  It takes a bit of navigating but you will get a 1-800 number and that is a FREE call.  Even PayPal has a 1-800 customer service FREE phone number.  

top and bottom.jpg

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi, the other thing to maybe check is do you have your PayPal account linked to your ebay account? Sellers can block buyers who "don't have a PayPal account" but the way that is determined is if an ebay user hasn't linked their PayPal account to their ebay account

paypallink.PNG

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The simplest answer is to back your PP account with a credit card.

Using your bank account is, in effect, writing a cheque. And that e-cheque has to clear both the Canadian and US banking systems before your seller gets paid.

Using a cc as backing, the payment is instant, and you have the further protection (a third layer after eBay and PP's Buyer Protection programmes) of the cc's chargeback policy.

However, it is also possible that the seller does not realize that Ontario is in Canada. There is an Ontario California. And both Canada and California are shortened to CA.

Are you sure the seller sells to Canada?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You had asked about this in another post.  I'll copy and paste my rep,y...🙂

There are no long distance charges if you use eBay's 1-800 number.

Are you saying that the eBay account that you are using is not linked to your PayPal account? If that's the case then the seller probably has their account set up to accept purchases only from buyers with a PayPal account so if the account you are using isn't linked, the system won't allow you to make the purchase. To get around that the seller can put your eBay id on their 'buyer block exception list here:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderPermitLogin

Message 5 of 5
latest reply