Re: USPS First Class Intl Services to Canada

I have been buying on Ebay for a few years  and have never felt so frustrated. 

Some sellers are using the weight limit of 16 ounces as directed by Ebay for USPS First Class Intl services to Canada. Wrong it is up to 4 lbs with a value up to $400. This information can be googled on the internet via USPS.com. or contacting  your local post office .

Ebay and some sellers are incorrect with information. 

I refuse to be a part of the Global Shipping Program as it is just a cash grab.

Is any other Canadian having this problem.

Ebay smarten up.....

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Seriously, it's not eBay.

It is the seller, who wants the slightly higher exposure in Search without the five second hassle of making out a customs declaration for non-US buyers.

They say they ship internationally, then make it uneconomic for non-US customers to buy.

Basically, they don't want your money.

Most of GSP import fees go to provincial sales taxes, btw.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Nope.

It's all on the seller.

I just did a fake listing, which I better remove pretty fast, and there was no problem listing a 4lb FCI parcel.

Shipping from 90210 to BC was $37.25 USD.

Have you tried punching in various dimensions, weights and locations to the USPS site?

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/ShapeAndSize?country=10440&ccode=AE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=7...

International shipping is quite expensive.

Here's Canada Post for comparison;

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

UPS WorldSaver to Canada.

NEVER buy anything shipped UPS to Canada. Not only are the import fees charged on your doorstep, but their customs brokerage/ service fee starts at $25.

GSP which I avoid at all costs.

Most would agree, but on high value or bulky items which are likely to be assessed by CBSA, GSP can sometimes be cheaper than USPS /Canada Post.

Your choice of course. Always.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Seriously, it's not eBay.

It is the seller, who wants the slightly higher exposure in Search without the five second hassle of making out a customs declaration for non-US buyers.

They say they ship internationally, then make it uneconomic for non-US customers to buy.

Basically, they don't want your money.

Most of GSP import fees go to provincial sales taxes, btw.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

But isnt Ebay equally at fault for giving wrong information.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Nope.

It's all on the seller.

I just did a fake listing, which I better remove pretty fast, and there was no problem listing a 4lb FCI parcel.

Shipping from 90210 to BC was $37.25 USD.

Have you tried punching in various dimensions, weights and locations to the USPS site?

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/ShapeAndSize?country=10440&ccode=AE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=7...

International shipping is quite expensive.

Here's Canada Post for comparison;

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I was getting a lot of resistance from the seller so I called the US Postal outlet closest to me. I was able to get a quote based on a 3.5 lb item  with 12 inches length for $25,25

US funds. The seller said I could only ship Priority Mail.

I was so frustrated with the seller I moved on. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

There is an item I am interested in several of. Prices are all over the map. Was able to find 1 locally.  Item weight packaged 600 grams at most and should retail for $20.00 US . As for units in the US, shipping varies substantially.

One seller in Texas has for (1) $100.31 UPS WorldSaver to Canada. Free shipping (1) USPS Ground to USA

Next seller in California (1)$48.60 (2 for 61.80 USD) by  USPS Priority Mail to Canada (Free UPS Ground for 1 in USA)(22.40 for 2).

3rd seller Oregon to Canada 43.85 USPS Priority Mail(8.15 USPS ground for USA).

4th  seller NJ 38.70 USPS Priority to Canada(17.30 USPS Expedited USA).

Last Scenario:  Item marked up substantially for option of lower shipping.

Seeing a pattern in shipping prices? I see this pattern on a regular basis searching for items in the USA. Guess the customs paperwork is must be too complicated to Canada or they just don't want our business!?!? As Canadian buyers pretty sure all we really want is fair and accurate shipping with the possibility of several options as a bonus(Which was offered in years past) and not to get gouged!!! Did not include US sellers using GSP which I avoid at all costs.

-CM

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I was able to get a quote based on a 3.5 lb item  with 12 inches length

Bookmark the website.  And remember that Shape and Size is the one the shipper has to click on. Even then she has to scroll to the bottom of the list.

Canada Post starts with the cheapest rates. Not USPS.

The location of the seller and the buyer makes  difference too.

Americans are ... foreigners.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

UPS WorldSaver to Canada.

NEVER buy anything shipped UPS to Canada. Not only are the import fees charged on your doorstep, but their customs brokerage/ service fee starts at $25.

GSP which I avoid at all costs.

Most would agree, but on high value or bulky items which are likely to be assessed by CBSA, GSP can sometimes be cheaper than USPS /Canada Post.

Your choice of course. Always.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Just saying on a $20.00 item should really not be that much of a crazy variance on postage especially for that weight of an item. They were just refusing to offer economical shipping which if we don't do what ever we can as Canadian sellers we would never hear the end of it from US buyers. Different postal systems I realize but all sellers need to use some better judgement.

-CM

Message 9 of 9
latest reply