Reasonable time to wait for seller to ship item

kelhend_7
Community Member

Hi there! I'm brand new to buying on eBay and I am all but certain that I am a little bit privilidged from 1 day shipping from big online retailers. I purchased a Macbook from the US on Friday and now its Monday and the seller hasn't sent the item out or responded to my message I sent after buying it. The seller has been on eBay since 2017 and have good top rated seller status. I'm not too concerned about it not being shipped yet but it does leave me wondering. What is the normal timeframe from eBay purchase to it being dropped off at USPS? If it matters, its being processed through the eBay shipping program.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It's possible that the seller does not work on weekends.

Sellers have up to five days to ship paid items.

And some new sellers, whose customer payments are still being Held, misunderstand that while they can't move the payment to their bank, they can buy shipping labels and they are required to ship.

First, don't look at tracking until the end of Monday.

Second, check to see if the seller has one business day or two /three/etc handling time.

The newbies are .... often difficult.

its being processed through the eBay shipping program.

Many buyers panic when they see their purchase marked Delivered to Glendale Heights. That's the eIS freight consolidator. Your purchase is moving normally.

Mark the date for arrival on your calendar and Don't Watch Tracking.

have good top rated seller status.

Feedback is  voluntary, and any FB under 98% is not great.

Top Rated Sellers are meeting eBay criteria, not buyer service criteria. (I have TRS on some of my accounts.)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My biggest concern is just that they haven't reached back at all, I don't want to pester them but I did just pay two weeks salary to buy the Macbook and they are a professional seller. They can't be sketchy if they sold over 6k items right? I feel like I'm just beng nervious 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What does their feedback actually say? Look for a pattern of complaints about poor communication, slow shipping (not delivery which is out of the hands of the seller), poor quality of goods, etc.

A single complaint could be just someone who will never be happy with anything. It's the pattern you look for.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eBay has strong buyer protections, so you don't need to worry. If the seller doesn't send the item or it isn't as described, you can get your money back.

Most sellers have a few business days to ship an item out. If you put the order in Friday (which could have been after their shipping cutoff for the day), they likely have until Tuesday or Wednesday to do so. It isn't ideal for them not to respond, but they may not be caught up yet if they had a lot of sales and inquirys over the weekend.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

You're given a delivery time estimate by eBay.  The way I see it, it's more important that the item arrives within that timeframe than when it gets shipped out.  The item could go anywhere or not go anywhere anytime between the time the item is purchased and the first or last estimated date of delivery and it really wouldn't matter.

After making sure that this seller has a track record of selling similar merchandise, I'd just relax until a couple of days before the first estimated date of delivery and then--only then--start peeking at the tracking information.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply