Received Counterfeit Watch, Will eBay’s Decision be Swift?

sppena
Community Member

In hindsight I should not have been in this situation being an eBay member since 2006 and having been scammed in the past..

I won a bid on a luxury watch from a local seller (who’s account was created on Feb 2022) . Once I received it, the packaging seemed off for a BNIB item so I posted the watch on Reddit for an authenticity check and results quickly came as a Fake. Reached out to the seller and opened INAD refund request immediately. Seller was very responsive to dismiss my claims and uploaded the purchase receipt then claims I swapped their watch with a fake.

I then inspected the receipt and it contained a lot of mis-information; it didn’t include the watch model number and it stated it was made of 100% white gold but the watch as describes on the ad is stainless steel. I even called the phone number on the receipt that should have directed me to the dealership but no one answered.

I submitted all my findings in the returns portal and all pictures related to my claim. Their eBay ad also had generic photos of the watch and not original pictures from the seller and told them this was misleading. Seller has only uploaded the purchase receipt but keeps responding promptly that I am the one scamming and they will open a lawsuit.

It’s a significant purchase and waiting 3 more days before eBay can provide feedback is keeping me up at night. Used eBay direct purchase and didn’t use PP.

What’s your thoughts and is there anything else I can provide to make my claim irrefutably.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ebay doesn't generally require any 'proof' as it is he said/she said situation. They don't know what the seller sent so they assume the buyer is correct.   Once a buyer opens an item not as described claim, the seller has the option of accepting the retun, paying for a return label and refunding upon the return.  Or, they can refund without a return.  If they do not choose either and you ask ebay to step in, ebay will either provide a label so that you can return the watch, refund you and then have the seller compensate them, or give the seller a little bit more time to provide a return label.   But in the end, you should be refunded. 

It would be very unusual for a buyer to lose an item not as described claim as long as they follow the money back guarantee.  If you do have a problem, please let us know so that we can help or at least give advice.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

ebay doesn't generally require any 'proof' as it is he said/she said situation. They don't know what the seller sent so they assume the buyer is correct.   Once a buyer opens an item not as described claim, the seller has the option of accepting the retun, paying for a return label and refunding upon the return.  Or, they can refund without a return.  If they do not choose either and you ask ebay to step in, ebay will either provide a label so that you can return the watch, refund you and then have the seller compensate them, or give the seller a little bit more time to provide a return label.   But in the end, you should be refunded. 

It would be very unusual for a buyer to lose an item not as described claim as long as they follow the money back guarantee.  If you do have a problem, please let us know so that we can help or at least give advice.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Keep in mind that even if things don't work out in eBay, (which is unlikely) that you will have the option of filing a claim with your payment provider.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You have 30 days from delivery for your eBay claim.

If that fails, and from what you have posted, you should be fine, you are also covered by Paypal for up to 180 days from payment.

And if you back your PP account with a credit card, or if you bought directly with a card, you are further covered by their chargeback policy.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply