Refund/Return SquareTrade Warranty

So I bought a tablet, and opted to get a warranty with it.

Tablet was defective, so it was returned to seller. Now, when I try and return the warranty, it says it can't be returned and quotes that it :

You can't open a return on eBay for this item
Unfortunately, we can't process requests to return items in the Real Estate category, certain Motors categories, and the Classified Ad format. Please contact the seller to return this item.

Weird. I messaged the seller (SquareTrade) about the issue but haven't heard anything.

tyler@ebay  will this be refunded once my seller issues the refund for the tablet or do I have to get someone at eBay involved? All SquareTrade warranties should be returnable as they mention that in the sale blurb. 

Cancel or Transfer Anytime

Customers receive a full refund if they cancel in the first 30 days. Refunds are pro-rated after that. Transferring your protection plan is free and can be done online or over the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

So I wanted to update everyone on this. I have not received my refund yet. Apparently, you have to cancel the plan directly via SquareTrade. However, wait for it.....

SquareTrade can't find my plan. I've been able to create an account using an old e-mail address that I used to use for eBay like years ago, but still no plan. I've submitted the info so at least hopefully they can register the plan.

So, at the moment, I'm not exactly getting warm fuzzies over this.

tyler@ebay  I contacted the Twitter Team on the original issue and they provided an update, but I have messaged them again regarding the fact that SquareTrade can't find my plan. If both of these things fail, I may have no other recourse but to file a chargeback from my CC provider as it seems a glitch is preventing me from getting anything done.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

As a quick update, SquareTrade replied to the open case and has asked for receipts for both my warranty and tablet. 

So, I'm thinking if my experience is this bad, how about people who buy a warranty, assume all is well, then go to claim and find out there is no record? 

I send SquareTrade PDF of the PayPal transaction as the eBay webview isn't really setup as a "true receipt". tyler@ebay might be something for the dev's to work on, a "receipt style" view for customers who need to do warranty claims etc. With eBay going into managed payments this is going to complicate things. 

Anyways, we'll see what SquareTrade says after the look up those transactions. Of note is that I explained in my reply e-mail that I returned the original machine but purchased a replacement. I'll see maybe they can cover the new one I got. I still have 30 days to decide, but I at least need them to recognize that I did buy a warranty.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

So another update:

SquareTrade was provided the eBay screenshots and eBay username, then they said we need your username...again.

tyler@ebay How difficult can it be to register a warranty? There was no automated e-mail sent. Much like the GSP it seems there are some bugs to be squashed. Now, eBay says no refund, SquareTrade says no refund because we don't know you or the warranty you purchased. Even if I want to keep the warranty (which I'm not opposed to) man oh man, this really sucks.

Tyler, I suggest that this be reported. I even have the string of e-mails from SquareTrade. They seriously need to work better on what is going on because if this is how they treat all purchases made, I'm starting to believe all the negatives on their seller account are actually customers who have been hoodwinked.

Don't know what else to say. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Finally, the warranty has been registered!

What a nightmare!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What was the advantage of getting the warranty?

I know most manufacturers will not honor warranties on their products  if they are not sold by an authorized dealer, which lets out most eBay sellers.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eBay and Square Trade specifically advertise that you can buy a used device, and protect it with an extended warranty right out of the gate.

So, for my tablet, eBay gives me a 30 day return if defective. PayPal will also do the same for 180 days. However in each case it requires returning the unit in question.

Square Trade will repair the device or replace it. So for an IP68 rated ToughPad FZ-G1, it's worth to have that coverage.

Essentially, Square Trade allows you to get warranty on things that you buy on eBay.

But how specific listings get approval isn't ideal, some listings directly offer warranty, others don't. I was able to get them to cover my unit even though Square Trade wasn't an option when I bought it. YMMV.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply