Returning jewellery to India.

Recently I have to refund a watch to India given that the two watches I bought  from the same seller were both damage and unusable. eBay asked me to return one watch and I went to Canada Post were they told me that was against the law to send jewellery to India. Since the seller did not have a way to send me the shipping label, eBay told me that the seller will send me the money. happens that the tracking label cost from Canada  to India was $49.00 and neither eBay or the seller want it to pay for. I send the watch for regular mail and I did not declare the content. eBay.ca close my claim and told me though you loose your money and the watch. I feel cheated by both the seller and eBay. Be careful what you buy and who you get it from.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I'm sorry you had this bad experience.

Was this watch by any chance a mechanical watch that had some "pedigree"? If you look up online, you will see info about so called "Mumbai Special Watch" that come from India that claim to be many watches. I don't know if your seller is one of the ones selling these, but it's known in the watch community as a buyer beware.

If you used a credit card you could file a chargeback on that purchase, that is about the only thing I can suggest.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your response. I have no idea of what you said in here I know the seller was not from Mumbai, and unfortunately for me I paid with PayPal, but it was eBay.ca who terminate my claim after I send to them the postal receipt and photos of the package, that is why I blame both.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

They were not mechanical watches but Seiko 5 automatic.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

unfortunately for me I paid with PayPal, but it was eBay.ca who terminate my claim

This is Good News.

You are covered by eBay for 30 days from delivery.

Sadly that Claim has failed.

BUT!

You are covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection for 180 days from Payment, which means you should be able to try again.

And then if the PP account is backed by a credit card, you can try the card's chargeback service.

The weakness in your case is that you did not track the return of the watch.  PP insists on Proof of Shipping, which usually includes a tracking number.

after I send to them the postal receipt

Fingers crossed this will be acceptable to PP.

EBay is the venue-- the shop if you like.

It is independent from Paypal which is your payment processor -  the machine on the counter of the shop.

And the credit card provided the actual payment.

Usually things go so smoothly that there is no reason for a buyer to know about this.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

For returns PayPal requires proof of delivery, just like eBay does.  
The only time PayPal will accept proof of shipping OR proof of delivery is for an unauthorized use credit card chargeback.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Did the seller send you money for the label that you did use? If they paid for the return label and suggested that you use a service without tracking, then they should be responsible for refunding you even if there is not proof of delivery. but if you decided to choose that service on your own then the following rule wouldn’t apply.

This is what it states in the eBay Money back guarantee:

If a seller chooses to offer the buyer an untracked return label and eBay is asked to step in and help, the buyer will not be required to provide proof of delivery or signature confirmation.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Was ebsy asked to step in?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Seiko 5 Automatic is a mechanical watch.

Don't buy watches from India. Simple. Trust Me.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I will, Thank my friend.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

eBay.ca was who advised me that since he could not send me the shipping label he will send me the money, I  paid to him for shipping $13.40 and I received from PayPal $10.49 but when I get to the postal station I was advised that shipping to India with tracking would be $49.00 for a watch that I paid $55.00 with the shipping included, and that package will last three month since it goes by ship, I was advised that regular mail would cost me $12.90 and will arrive in two weeks and that is the way  i decided to send it since I knew the seller would not pay $49.00

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you I will only use credit card from now on, anyhow I will be closing my account with eBay.ca since they have been very bad to me, I have to wait for so long time for items, just to realized that eBay.ca has closed my claims without a proper reason and no way to respond to them. disappointing.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply