Seller can only refund to PayPal account

Hi there! I recently requested a refund because I didn't receive an item that I bought well over a month ago. The seller said they can only refund the money back onto my PayPal account. I don't have a PayPal account and I paid with my credit card....would it help if I open an account now? Or is there any other way like if I contact eBay directly about it?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@chcho.t.rtefwnhxqe wrote:
Hi there! I recently requested a refund because I didn't receive an item that I bought well over a month ago. The seller said they can only refund the money back onto my PayPal account. I don't have a PayPal account and I paid with my credit card....would it help if I open an account now? Or is there any other way like if I contact eBay directly about it?

Did you request your refund by opening an INR (Item-Not-Received) case?

If you did, then all the seller has to do is refund the money via the INR case. The seller gets their eBay fees back. Paypal will process the refund and return it to your credit card.

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Don't let the seller lead you on.

This is sketchey.

The seller would not actually know you did not have a PP account unless you told him.

He just refunds the payment he got through Paypal.

And as stated, it is returned to your credit card.

If you have not opened a formal Dispute through the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page, do it now.

Don't bother with the suggestion that you Contact the Seller, you have already done that.

Ask eBay to step in and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

The refund will show on your credit card statement.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I did open a case with the seller to get the refund. And no I didn't tell the seller whether or not I have a PayPal account. I'm just not sure if I can still get the money back on my credit when they can only refund it to PayPal. So should I go ahead and let them know to refund it to PayPal? Will PayPal then put it back on my credit card? Thanks!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@chcho.t.rtefwnhxqe wrote:
I did open a case with the seller to get the refund. ...  I'm just not sure if I can still get the money back on my credit when they can only refund it to PayPal. So should I go ahead and let them know to refund it to PayPal? Will PayPal then put it back on my credit card?

For INR there are only so many days it can remain open before eBay closes it automatically -- don't go past that date.

Just tell the seller to issue a refund (don't specify to where) through the INR claim and that they will get their fees back if they do that.   Paypal which (for most sellers) processed the credit card will put the money back where it came from (in this case, your card).

If the seller drags their feet, then ask eBay to step in (through the INR case) to resolve the INR.

-..-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply