Seller is playing games. Changed the price so it was higher after offer was made!

The price of the item on the original listing was $3.84.  I made an offer of $2.68.  That was a $1.16 off the price. The seller came back with a ridiculous counter offer of only 4 cents off. I declined it! She has now put the price up on the original listing to $4.80 to make it look like she was giving me a deal when she offered the counter offer. I have the original emails with my offer and it clearly shows the price was $3.84.

Maybe not a big deal but I think it shows she's a dishonest seller and I have decided I will not ever do business with this person!  She also ignored all my emails asking for a quote on shipping. I'm obviously not going to bid on something if I don't know what the shipping costs are first! The majority of the feedback was positive but I did notice that all the negative feedback came from people who had made offers rather than using the buy it now. That was a red flag for me!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seller is playing games. Changed the price so it was higher after offer was made!

No one can see the details of Best Offers except the seller and the customer.

Your offer asked for more than 1/3 off her asking price.

On a $3.84 item.

That the price is such an odd number, I suspect your seller is not in Canada. Probably in the USA --given current foreign exchange rates --and priced at $3.00 USD.

If there is no shipping fee on a listing, it is likely the seller does not particularly want to ship to those destinations.

Sellers are allowed to price their items as they wish. She may have found the item was in greater demand than she originally thought. She may have had a price rise from her supplier. The loonie may have dropped against the US dollar.

It is always a good idea to get a shipping quote before going further with a transaction, whether that is a Best Offer or an outright purchase.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Never make an offer if you do not know what the shipping cost will be.

Unless mentioned in the terms shipping is not covered by the offer and the seller could make up a number that negates any offer savings.

You made an offer.

Seller realized it was priced too low and raised the price. It happens.

Most sellers are not concerned about making a counteroffer look attractive. But, it sounds like you may have found one. Avoiding that seller is a good idea.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree with others that it's not a good idea to make an offer if you're not 100% sure what the shipping cost is, what if the seller accepted your offer and then quoted $12 for shipping? on one hand she seems to be giving you a discount, on the other hand she could just increase the shipping charge enough to recover the loss.
I
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you think the price is good, buy it.

If you think the counteroffer is not appealing, decline it.

What the seller does with his or her prices after that is not relevant to you. Many bigger sellers use software that auto-adjusts prices based on a dozen factors of which you may be unaware. 

Don't make it personal. Move along.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I don't consider that person a dishonest seller, because market prices can be dictated by supply and demand. You haven't committed to buying yet, so the seller has the right to adjust the price as they see fit. Think gasoline prices. I saw a $1.399 last night and then this morning it's $1.509 at the same gas station, is that gas station being dishonest? Nope. Same goes for many other commodity that has a fluctuating market.

Buyers who make a low offer on an item that's already priced low tend to be the more difficult buyers who are harder to please and are more likely to leave negative feedback.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply