Seller is trying to "Pull a Fast One"?

I oredered some Rear Brake Pads for my car.
I checked the "Fitment Chart" which confirmed they fit my car.

I ordered them and they arrived very fast.

When I opened them up and looked, they were too small.

I Contacted the Seller and told them the problem; and asked for a Return Shipping Label.

The Reply in part was:
We are sorry these did not fit your vehicle.
We will issue a refund right away and you do not need to return them back to us.

I sent a reply of thanks, and pointed out that there were several other products listed in their store for Rear Brake Pads,  with the same information - which I thought were also incorrect!

However, I now see that the seller has issued a Partial Refund.. and when I try to click on "Return Item" I am not allowed- as it says the Seller has Issued a "Full Refund".

To clarify, the seller has Issued a Partial Refund - which was only for the cost of the Brakes.

The Shipping Charges were Not Refunded

I contacted the Seller, but it seems that they are trying to "Pull a Fast One" on me~

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Rear Brake Pads 2.jpg

Rear Brake Pads.jpg

Details of Return Refund

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Refund Details - Shipping Included- NOT!
I also take note that it was Refunded to PayPal- which I did not want to use - since I do not have Access to my Account and cannot login because I do not have a Cell Phone to Verify the Account!Screenshot 2024-01-31 183527.png

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Follow Up Message from Seller:
We refunded for the entire purchase price.
We do not charge for shipping, as stated in our listing.
Any other fees would need to be taken up with ebay directly.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Thanks for the screenshots.  It looks as though the shipping for your pads was handled by eBay International Shipping, which is a glorified forwarding service.  Your shipping charge included two shipping charges: one levied by the seller, and the other by eBay International Shipping.  The seller refunded what you paid him, but he has no way of refunding what you paid to eIS to have the item sent from the eIS hub to your location.

I don't think this seller is trying to pull a fast one; I think they're honestly clueless.  They may not even realize that eIS was handling the shipping to you and that the item was going to Canada.  Normally in a case like this involving eIS, you're supposed to go through the Money Back Guarantee process and open a case.  If the item requires a return, eIS will supply a return address for you and you send it there and then you get the item price and both shipping charges refunded.  The seller is usually off the hook (i.e. they get to keep the sale), but if they've accumulated a few of these claims of erroneously-described items, they may be on eBay's radar and unable to qualify for this perk.

My suggestion would be to contact eBay customer service either through the chat option (make sure you get an AGENT and not a bot) or through Facebook or X/Twitter.  The online reps should have the authority to get your second shipping charge back or track down somebody who does.  I don't know if they'll request that the pads get returned to them, but I'm sure you can handle that if they do.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on this, @bearlover69.

EDITED TO ADD:  I wondered if the seller offered "free" shipping.  That would apply to the domestic leg of the item's shipment, up to the eIS hub (usually in suburban Chicago).  So what you're looking for is a refund of the eIS shipping charge.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.

And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

So what you're looking for is a refund of the eIS shipping charge.

Make sure this is clear to the agent.

EIS is a Seller Protection Program and the seller is not responsible for the second shipping charge, for the Canadian sales taxes you paid if the item was over $40Cdn or any duty if the item were over $150Cdn.

EIS /eBay will be responsible for refunding those charges, not the seller.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I contacted an agent on FB
they told me that they could open a "Return Item" and  refund
OR- they could Issue a Coupon.

I requested the Refund, but said if it was a Problem, they could issue the coupon.
They Issued a Coupon, that will expire on 02/07/2024.

I use eBay and PayPal- Less and Less.  They used to be my 1st stop. Now it's an only if I can't,...- Store!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply