Seller refused return and can't appeal through Ebay?

hug4856
Community Member
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with how to resolve this. A seller sent me a shrunken wool sweater that is far top small to wear. I have another sweater from the same brand of the same size and laying the shrunken sweater on top of it, it's clear the sweater she sent has been shrunken down by 2 or 3 sizes. I opened a return saying that the item was defective and within 5 minutes she rejected it and the return is closed. I then emailed her directly asking her to resolve and she hasn't replied. This was a week ago.

I can't seem to find out what to do. I tried to "appeal Ebay's decision" but am getting a message saying that the return was closed so I can't appeal.

See attached photo - the sweater on top is the shrunken "small" and the one underneath is a normal xs from the same brand.

Does anyone know what can be done now? Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You can dispute a transaction with three paths.

The first is the obvious eBay Dispute.

I don't understand how a seller can just close a Not As Described dispute, normally the only question in those is who pays for return shipping if it is demanded by the seller.

But moving on.

You can Dispute through Paypal for 180 days from payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Bad news, that 180 days for Dispute is offset by PP's requirement that the Buyer pay for return shipping (if the seller demands it) before refunding.

NOTE:  Even if a seller has a No Returns policy, she can still demand a tracked return.

If that fails, you can also go to the credit card you used to back your PP account. Call the 1-800 number on the back of the card about a chargeback. Card policies differ.

If you used a card directly, go to the card next, although technically PP was involved in processing your payment.

If you have more questions, or want to fill in more details, please post here.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If the buyer uses what is considered a buyers remorse reason on the return then they can refuse the return if they have a 'no return' policy so I am guessing that you used the 'doesn't fit' reason. 

Did you pay through Paypal? If so, you should be able to file a PP item not as described claim by signing into your PP account. Paypal does require the buyer to pay for return shipping so you might want to first sign up for their return shipping program (free to sign up). Here is the info...

https://www.paypal.com/ca/for-you/shop/refunded-returns

However, I have no idea if they will honor purchases made before the program was joined.

If you paid with a credit card, you could do a credit card chargeback.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply