Seller refuses to give refund

kati-ca
Community Member
Im having a big problem with a seller. I ordered 3 of the same item and they were supposed to of arrived by May 31. Shortly after this I went to my Purchase History, clicked on "more actions" for each item, and clicked "I did not recieve my item" and asked for my money back 3 times. They told me they had refunded it but lied and didn't give me back anything. When I realized the money had not been returned, I contacted them again and they saud they would refund it but only refunded 1/3 items. Now they say its because I only opened a case for 1 item, but they are identical, and on all 3 items when I click "didn't recieve item", ebay says the case has already been closed. HELP!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Did you make one order for three items from a listing with multiple items or did you buy three items from three listings?

If the latter, you did have to open three Disputes.

You had 30 days from May 31 to open an Item Not Received Dispute.

It sounds as if you did open three separate Disputes.

You were refunded on one of the three.

EBay then closed all three Disputes.

At any rate, you are past the deadline for eBay disputes.

Go to your Paypal account.

Open two disputes, one for each of the transactions that you were NOT refunded for, in the PP Resolution Centre which is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

You have already been intouch with the seller, so skip the suggestion that you Contact him.

Escalate to a Claim (in each separate Dispute).

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping delivery) you will be refunded.

The problem I see is that if you purchased three items from one listing with one payment, and then received a PARTIAlL refund, you may have difficulty getting the remainder of your payment refunded.

That's where you should talk to a human being at PP.

If you back your PP account with a credit card, you also may be able to open a chargeback by calling the 1-800 number on the card. Policies differ.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Are the items from China by any chance?  I've had horrible trouble trying to file cases for items shipped from China when multiple purchases were involved.   In the end just gave up because it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The order was a quantity of 3 from the same listing. It seems crazy that ebay closes disputes without any resolution?! I didn't pay with paypal because I didn't realize the ebay guarantee wasn't valid. I will contact my credit card company. Thank you for the informative reply 🙂
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes they were. Im very unimpressed with ebays money back guarantee which seems VERY easy for buyers to bypass and keep sellers money. I won't be making any more of these purchases. Thank you for your reply 🙂
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@kati-ca wrote:
Im very unimpressed with ebays money back guarantee which seems easy for buyers to bypass and keep sellers money.

I assume you meant the other way around for regarding Buyer/Seller.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Woops. Yep I did. Easy for sellers.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@kati-ca wrote:
Yes they were. Im very unimpressed with ebays money back guarantee which seems VERY easy for ""sellers""" to bypass and keep """buyer's"""  money. I won't be making any more of these purchases. Thank you for your reply 🙂

There seems to be some kind of glitch which sellers from China have tapped into.

My experience with the type of situation you described was very frustrating but I've only encountered that with items from China.

I wasn't allowed to open a case for some insane (months) amount of time.  Then I was forced to try to file cases for every item payed for and since this purchase involved multiple low priced items that took a lot of time.

It also made no sense because the items had clearly been shipped together so if one didn't arrive the rest didn't arrive either.

The system then sent me into a circular route but I wasn't allowed to actually open cases, and that took so long that my small window of time for opening the case closed.

Because of the way the process unfolded I'm pretty sure that the seller had discovered the glitch and milked it to the hilt.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I wasn't allowed to open a case for some insane (months) amount of time.

Based on the last estimated date for delivery? The seller's choice of shipping service is part of the problem. Surface normally takes about two months and can be longer. After that date passes you have 30 days to open the Dispute.

Then I was forced to try to file cases for every item payed for

Yes, unless you purchased multiples of a single item.

no sense because the items had clearly been shipped together

Unless there is a single tracking number, eBay and Paypal can't assume that. But it's true, even when there is the system wants every item Disputed separately.

The system then sent me into a circular route

Preach, sister! EBay is notorious for making problem solving links hard to find. Grr.

that took so long that my small window of time for opening the case closed.

??

The window is 30 days from last estimated date for delivery. Should we assume you waited until near that deadline.

I'm pretty sure that the seller had discovered the glitch

The basic glitch he found was that he was allowed to give a transit time longer than the time eBay keeps transaction information live and/or longer than the Feedback period.

The answer probably should be that the longest allowable shipping time should be 30 days -- based on Air Mail delivery.

Keeping in mind that Air Mail delivery is going to be more expensive-- if the seller is shipping anything at all.

And then we would be hearing howls from buyers about how expensive eBay shipping is compared to AZ (where shipping is often hidden in the asking price).

Given "American Exceptionalism" it might be possible to sell this to eBay, since the USPS no longer offers international Surface delivery, for exactly this reason. It is too slow for contemporary shoppers.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply