Seller sent me money to buy return label - but provided wrong address?

Hi everyone,

Recently a seller instructed me to return an item to them. They could not issue a shipping label but did provide money (through PayPal) and an address to ship it back to. However, after I shipped it back to them via CPC, I realized that they provided me the wrong address to ship to. They told me to ship it back to China but the address they originally provided was in the US. Thing is, the resolution center doesn't even tell me the address where it should be shipped to, so how was I supposed to know? Will I be on the hook for this? This was an expensive item.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the seller instructed you to return the item using a postage service without tracking, they forgo the right to see Delivered before issuing a refund. You will, however, be forced to call Customer Service to have them intervene in this. Make sure you can provide evidence you were instructed to ship without tracking by the seller; you need this. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Just to be clear, they paid for return shipping, with tracking , to China?

While tyler@ebay  would be best to confirm the question, just the fact that they spent a substantial sum to get the item back indicates to me that the problem will be resolved.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @reallynicestamps!

Hi @pgpswifty-8 - as long as you shipped to either the return address we provided, or an address the seller provided to you in messages, and have tracking to prove it, we will make sure you get covered!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

They didn’t mention anything about tracking. They just sent enough money to get the cheapest one. I didn’t even know what tracking was until after I shipped it back. Did the seller scam me?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

It's possible that the seller will refund you once they receive the item back, tracking or no tracking. However, if they say that they didn't receive it back, there is no way for ebay to force them to refund you as they don't know if the item was actually delivered.  I like to give everyone the benefit of doubt although I do know that in similar circumstances, buyers haven't been refunded because the item hasn't 'shown up'   

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If the seller instructed you to return the item using a postage service without tracking, they forgo the right to see Delivered before issuing a refund. You will, however, be forced to call Customer Service to have them intervene in this. Make sure you can provide evidence you were instructed to ship without tracking by the seller; you need this. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hey, maybe that might work! I’ll give it a try. Thanks so much for helping me and other ebayers!
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hi @pgpswifty-8 - this whole situation seemed a bit off, so I sent it off for a review. Keep an eye on your eBay messages for more details as that team has a closer look! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

OMG TYLER THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ This case has been giving me so much stress for the past week; can’t say how much I appreciate you personally stepping in to help me.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Wish I'd seen your post before I returned an incorrect item to a seller without getting payment for shipping costs in advance.  If buyer pays the cost of shipping incorrect item back to seller they can just decide not to pay and eBay won't help.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply