Seller threatens me with extortion and compensation

Seller is Based in Poland. The tracking he gave never updated for 1 month. I question him about it and he never got back to me, only got back when i opened a case with ebay.

His excuse was that he was on vacation and that since it's registered mail it can't get lost. He also claimed that he was going to look into it (as a solution). So I gave him a chance (1 week), sent him a message right in the morning after a week for an update and he never gave a response (24hr) until ebay stepped in.

Now he's claiming that he got information from the polish post office that I picked up the item and that he's going to file a claim of extortion with Ebay. Told him that, it was basically BS because it never got handed over to Canada post to begin with. Next day he told me that he file an application of compensation with Canada Post and if the application comes, they will enforce it from me.

Should I be worried or is this a scam?

PS: I didn't go with regular mail, according to the tracking it was shipped by Priority registered letter. Also saw the same item but ships with USPS when he's based in Poland.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mcrlmn
Community Member

You didn't receive your purchase and the seller isn't being nice.
Is that the gist of it?

I'll assume eBay's estimated delivery date has passed.
There is no need for more analysis, or ongoing back and forth messaging and posturing.
Open an "I haven't received it yet" case.
Go to the Resolution Centre and follow the directions.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If you can say who the seller is I can take a look into it and possibly determine if its a scam or not.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I would post but , I don't think it's a good idea to post his name directly. But I started to become suspicoious when I saw two listing of the same item ( same seller) one was in Polish złoty and the other was in USD. I checked his review as a seller and he seemed reputable, but some how he's based in Poland but he ships with USPS? The picture for the items was exactly the same, only difference was the currency priced.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

(For the USD one) I think that its because when its imported to the U.S.  it could've been sent to USPS because Poland may not be directly imported to Canada so it might have to stopover in the U.S. . Another scenario might be that he now lives in the U.S. for instence, I ordered something from a seller and it said it was in Niagara Falls, NY, but yet it said that he lived in Canada. (I still retrieved my package and it said 'USPS' so it meant that he lived in the U.S. but yet on ebay it says hes based in Canada) Also, the one showing in Polish currency might've been his last selling of this item (From when he was in Poland or either he was showing it in U.S. dollars to attract an international audience)

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the input but I don't think this was the case because both listing has differnet stock levels. The one I ordered was shipped with Polish post. Polish post would have to go through Canada post, which in my case it never did ( checked with the website). But he claims that I picked it up, when the truth is that. It never made reached Canada ever.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

You didn't receive your purchase and the seller isn't being nice.
Is that the gist of it?

I'll assume eBay's estimated delivery date has passed.
There is no need for more analysis, or ongoing back and forth messaging and posturing.
Open an "I haven't received it yet" case.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

International registered mail does not get scanned by Canada Post so it might have gotten lost in Canada or just have gotten hung up somewhere but regardless, it's the sellers responsibility to refund you if you didn't receive it,  As far as what he says he is going to do, there is no such thing as a 'claim for extortion' on eBay and Canada Post isn't going to do anything..if there is insurance on the item, he will have to deal with his own post office. Basically he is just trying to scare you.  

I've seen a few posts from Europeans that have had problems with registered mail in Canada.  I don't know what the problem is but it doesn't seem to be a good option for them to use here.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Just as a friendly fyi, it's not allowed on the forum to name and shame sellers or buyers.🙂

Many Canadians use a service that takes their parcel from Canada to the US to mail so that they can use USPS since it can be less expensive.   Or, before the borders were closed, sellers who lived close to the US border might cross so that they can mail the package with usps.  That has nothing to do with the original poster's situation but explains how your Canadian seller could use rather US mail system.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Oh my,

Just open an "I haven't received it yet" case.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yeah if you summarize it, pretty much is. But I'm not too familiar with ebay rules, since I only buy stuff from ebay thats exclusive to other countries (limited edition, merchandise and etc).

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up! 👍

Message 11 of 11
latest reply