Seller won't refund return postage as promised. Help.

zhuo6230
Community Member

Hi. I bought a used game from a seller. The game should contain 2 discs but he only sent me one, so I couldn’t play it. (The game was listed as “complete”.) I asked for a refund and the seller asked me to return the game to him. I asked him if he’s going to cover the return postage and he said yes, so I returned the game to him. I’m from Canada and he’s from US so the process took more than 30 days and now I don’t have the option to let eBay step in because of that. After receiving the game, he only refunded me the original cost, without my return postage. I’ve been asking him about the return postage for a long time and he keeps stalling and telling me that he experienced some sort of problem refunding me the return postage. What can I do now? Is there a way to write to eBay to complain about this? I prefer e-mail communication with eBay to phone calls; and if I call eBay, what would they do to help me and how long would it take? I’ve never done this before so I don’t know. Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'm guessing you didn't actually open a Not As Described Dispute?

For future reference, the eBay Resolution Centre is at the bottom of most pages.

You have 30 days from delivery to open a dispute with eBay.

EBay makes the seller pay return tracked shipping.

Which he can do with a Canada Post shipping label purchased through Shippo or by using Paypal's Send Money service.

If the seller does not send return shipping, he loses the dispute and you are refunded. (You keep the unwanted item.)

EBay has no way to force the seller to refund postage which you willingly/were persuaded to pay. Nor does Paypal your usual second level for disputes.

Neither company handled that payment to the Post Office/carrier.

So you're not getting your shipping cost returned. Sorry.

You have 60 days from purchase for feedback.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

"Missing disc No refund of return postage." for example.

Again for future reference:

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools. You have 180 days from payment for Disputes.  Winning an eBay dispute even if you were shorted on the refund, means PP will not consider another dispute.

If you back your PP account with a credit card, you can as a last resort try the chargeback feature. Policies differ.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

probably worth a call to customer service, as the seller obviously received the game back, and issued you a refund, worst case scenario, if you complain enough that the seller just told you to mail it back , without opening a case, you will probably get a courtesy credit from ebay.. just my opinion..

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I agree that your best bet is to contact eBay and complain enough sonthat they issue you a courtesy refund. Unfortunately, they have no way of forcing the seller to pay for return postage if you’ve already paid for it yourself.  For international not as described returns the seller is supposed to send you the return postage money through PP before you send the item back.  I don’t think that eBay makes that clear enough in the resolution process.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@esclyons 

@pjcdn2005 

I asked for a refund and the seller asked me to return the game to him. I asked him if he’s going to cover the return postage and he said yes

I don't think the OP/buyer ever opened a Dispute. He just contacted the seller and was .... misled...scammed...treated poorly.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply