Shipments from China

Hello, I recently had a whole bunch of items I was going to purchase from China....yes I know some things are taking a while due to strike....but as of today some of those listings now say "Does not ship to Canada". And some of the items that were free shipping now have crazy shipping quotes. For example a pair of earrings for $2.00 with free shipping now says $150.00 shipping cost!!! What!!!!

Did all my favorite sellers just stop shipping to Canada because of the strike? Have they(China) been told to stop shipping to Canada? Anybody else notice this with the items they are watching?

I just bought something yesterday and the seller sent me an email saying it's out of stock. No it's not! But now when I go into the listing....same thing...they've changed their shipping to Does not ship to Canada.

Canada Post has ruined my Christmas the last two years as a seller on ebay and business owner. And now it's looks like they're gonna do it again with my sales and the items I can buy. Unbelievable.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Shipments from China

sellers just stop shipping to Canada because of the strike?

Possibly.

Or they may be out of stock and covering that by increasing shipping costs. Many sellers will increase the asking price of an out of stock item for no coherent reason, since they can't supply in any case, but this is specifically forbidden by eBay.

I just bought something yesterday and the seller sent me an email saying it's out of stock.

If he cancels for that reason, he gets a Defect. This is a Very Bad Thing for a seller.

Your Christmas is going to be ruined by the lack of a $2 pair of earrings?

OK.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

If I relied on online shopping from China, I’d have started buying in August so that I’d actually have half of it by Dec 25. Mid-November is too close to Christmas to count on anything arriving from China before March, rotating strikes or no strikes.
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

As momcqueen said, I wouldn't be ordering from China now and hoping to receive if for Christmas (at least not to Canada, USA maybe).  3 month is the worst I've seen to Canada, usually 6-8 weeks.  USA is usually 3 weeks-ish, though I've had as little as 8 days.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Canada Post has informed China Post, Royal Mail in UK and I believe USPS in United States to stop accepting parcels destined for Canada due to the supposed backlog. Seems Canada Post is playing pressure game with the union.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Reports have 300 truckloads of mail untouched at Mississauga Gateway, up from 150 last week when the plant was shut down for two days.

The union has asked members to refuse overtime and work to rule.

Asking that foreign postal services not forward mail to Canada strikes me as sensible.

And the workers can look forward to lots of overtime clearing the backlog while also working on the Christmas rush.  So those that are willing to take the time and a half will have a merry Christmas.

And fall asleep after one eggnog.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

cathy27s
Community Member

I recently bought an item from China and I was just told by the seller that they'll have to refund as China Post returned the package saying they are no longer delivering to Canada. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Write the PMO and your MP while ccing local media to talk about the impact Canada Post labour disruption has had on you. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Although writing to your member of parliament and the prime minister is a good way to vent, nothing you write to them will force the postal union back to work.  The postal union has the upperhand in this strike, if the PMO or your local MLA had any  power they would have done something 2 months ago. Politician's words are useless against the power of the postal union, and can do nothing to end this strike, but maybe legislate them back to work as a final straw. When that happens expect a bunch of disgruntled yet well rested posties to work to rule until a new contract is in place. Powers above can send them back to work, but they won't work, they will just show up and work to rule, and get paid for doing the bare minimum. There is nothing any MP or PM Trudeau himself can say that will have any effect on these negotiations, they have nothing to do with negotiating crown corporation union contracts. It sucks, but this Christmas season is a write off for Ebay sellers, and all Canadians in who rely on Canada Post to ship Christmas presents. This strike is not going away until the new year, regardless of any back to work legislation. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

I can’t afford to sit idly on the sidelines when it’s my livelihood at stake.
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Yes, apparently Canada Post has asked foreign shippers to stop sending parcels.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-strike-1.4909208

So those "does not ship to Canada" sellers must have heard about this.  Presumably this will change again once the mail gets moving -- I hope the sellers will remember to change the shipping options back again!

If you can wait a bit for the $2 earrings, you'll probably have a chance to buy them in the new year.  Maybe you can give the intended recipient a "gift certificate" for later delivery.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

@mapleleaf-collectibles

disgruntled yet well rested posties to work to rule

Well, actually, no posties has been on strike for more than a couple of days.

The strikes are rotating, which means that at any given time, the post office is working normally.

until a new contract is in place.

CUPW has been working without a contract for two years. Management has not been doing much to correct that.

Whether the union asks its members to work to rule is up to the membership.

Canada Post is not a democracy.

CUPW is  run by its members -- as a representative democracy, but the members do have a say in how it is run.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

No, CUPW has been working without an agreement since February of 2018 and not two years.

https://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/urban-ja-31-2018-ca-web-en.pdf

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

Adding more toxin to a toxic workplace isn’t going to make it any less stressful in which to work. I see the forest and the trees.
Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

some items i bought in September have yet to arrive. Everything stopped arriving over a month ago.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

@insanegrains

Have the Last Estimated Date for Arrival passed yet?

After the Last Date you have 30 days to open a Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the Last Date plus 30 days has passed, you can open a Dispute in the Paypal Resolution Centre for 180 days after Payment.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

Don't get hung up on the suggestion that you Contact the Seller. All you want is a tracking number that shows your purchases are in Canada.

No number? Escalate to a Claim and get your money.

And don't accept an offer of a replacement. It won't arrive either and is a pretty good indication that you bought vapourware.

Most Chinese sellers are honest and send what you bought. But there are a lot of them and a small percentage are not on your side.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

ebay needs to send out a notice to all china sellers and all other country sellers that the Canada postal strike is now over and ended. I am having a real problem each time I try to buy from sellers in China because they don't know that the postal strike is ended. I have to convince them the Canada post strike is over. Can ebay please send out a message to all international sellers to resume shipping to Canada?

Notice of end of postal strike:

https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/tools-resources/canada-post-strike

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/11/26/canada-post-strike-end-back-to-work_a_23601685/

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

They are posting $150 to $350 shipping costs instead of listing 'does not ship to Canada' after Canada post asked international postal services to not ship to Canada during the strike. THey are making the purchase prohibitive via shipping increase - but they have not got the any message that the strike is now over so many have left the crazy shipping cost so high. ebay needs to translate and send a message to all other countries sellers that the postal strike is now over. Do not buy at these shipping rates - many of my international sellers have done the same thing or just put 'does not ship to Canada'.
Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Shipments from China

@greatlakes52013

ebay needs to send out a notice to all china sellers and all other country sellers that the Canada postal strike is now over and ended.

This is a member to member Board, but tyler@ebay  holds a Discussion Board on Wednesdays.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply