Shipping charges are becoming too high

ihcbuick
Community Member

I have found that shipping charges are becoming exorbitant and I doubt that I will purchase much more on the site. Does anyone else have an opinion on this

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

"shipping charges are becoming exorbitant... "

In many instances, you are correct.  Why is it?

Several factors including the simple fact that postal rates (in Canada and elsewhere) are constantly going up but that is only one factor.

From what I see the problem is caused mostly by paranoia among many eBay sellers.  They are afraid that buyers will rip them off. So they offer shipping methods which "protect the seller" but are much more expensive than should be, mostly for relatively low cost items.

Is there a solution?  No really. You will still find many sellers willing and happy to ship by the cheapest method.  You have to be selective.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I just chuckle, and scroll right on by.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Is the seller using the Global Shipping Program?

If so your total shipping fee will include applicable Canadian duty and sales tax as well as about $5 as a service fee to the program.

And apparently that service fee is charged even if there is no applicable duty or tax, since GSP has to work to determine that.

Many sellers don't know they are signed up for the GSP -- or even that they are now selling internationally.

Ask the seller BEFORE BIDDING if he is willing to ship using USPS First Class International which will include Confirmation of Delivery to Canada if purchased online. This will save you some money if the value of your purchase is under $100.

The seller may be too paranoid to agree. So then move on. At least you've given him something to think about.

And as mentioned, the cost of shipping is unrelated to the value of the shipment. It costs over $15 to ship a 17x10x3cm/ 300 gram paperback from Ottawa to Fort MacMurray AB.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ebay isn't worth buying from unless its a must have item and you can't find it elsewhere.shipping costs and prices all over the place for same items makes it a no brainer to just go to local store and save big money

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I completely agree and have pretty much sworn off buying on eBay in the last year or so. After my last "spending spree" and being surprised at the end of it by how much money went straight into Pitney Bowes pockets... well... now I just have all my fav shopping sites bookmarked and when I want to find something, sure it takes more time visiting all the individual sites, but with promo codes and so much free shipping being offered, it would be crazy to go back to frumpy old eBay.

eBay is becoming a thing of the past, soon it will just be China-bay selling knock-off items at penny auctions with free shipping. Canadian sellers are taking the worst hit, and I fear we'll be the first to drop off.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply