Should I open claim for “Not as Described” item?

I ordered 3 scarves that were listed as chiffon made from polyester.  When they arrived only 1 scarf had a textile label, which is illegal.  The labels clearly says 100% Viscose and The fabric is not chiffon.  I contacted seller and asked for a return and included several photos that included images of my own chiffon to show the difference. I also sent information showing that chiffon is never made from viscose.  Initially the seller offered partial refund, no apology about the mixup, and the fact that the scarves are missing labels makes me believe they were purposely putting false information in their ads.  I denied their partial refund because I have no use for the scarves.  I need real chiffon to make face masks.  They accepted the return and sent me their address with no other information.  Then I got an email saying they could not send a return address label and I had to contact the seller to find out how they wanted to pay to return the items. I had no idea that international orders cannot do prepaid shipping labels.  Why does eBay not say the actual truth about this in their return policies! This is ridiculous, given that most of eBay sellers are overseas.   I did sent an email to the seller and got an automated response saying they were away from Oct. 1st to 5th because of a holiday in China. I did a live chat with eBay customers service, who seemed very nice.  She said that the seller is responsible for the costs and eBay had given the seller until the 5th to arrange return shipping.  When I told her what the email said about being away until the 5th, she said she would sent a reminder email on the 6th if they hadn’t responded.  Why is eBay giving sellers more time when they already know what was expected? Then customers service said that if I still didn’t hear from the seller after the reminder, I will have to contact eBay again and then they would provide return shipping before I can get a refund.  This means more work for me and I am going to be rushed to meet my shipping date, when it’s the seller causing problems.  In addition, eBay would also have to provide all the customs information.  I refuse to pay any money out of my own pocket to return something that was sold erroneously and fraudulently. This is not a case of the colour doesn’t look the same! Why are sellers being helped and ebay is putting all the work on the buyer when it’s the sellers fault in these situations. Especially, since I can prove that this item is not advertised legitimately?    Sellers are aware of the return shipping policies, but there are no consequences when overseas sellers don’t follow policies within their allotted timeframes. I have no way of knowing if the agent will actually send the reminder... she could get sick and not be at work. I don’t have much hope that the seller is honest, given that they knew days before the holiday that they had to arrange shipping and didn’t.  So my question is, should I ask eBay to step in now, so that I don’t miss my return timeframe and hopefully they can get the seller to be responsible or should I wait to see if the seller responds appropriately on their own? Sorry for the rant ☺️ Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

A bit easier on the eyes.

I ordered 3 scarves that were listed as chiffon made from polyester.  When they arrived  1 scarf had a textile label, which is illegal.  The labels clearly says 100% Viscose and The fabric is not chiffon.

I contacted seller and asked for a return and included several photos that included images of my own chiffon to show the difference. I also sent information showing that chiffon is never made from viscose.

Initially the seller offered partial refund, no apology about the mixup, and the fact that the scarves are missing labels makes me believe they were purposely putting false information in their ads.  I denied their partial refund because I have no use for the scarves.  I need real chiffon to make face masks.  They accepted the return and sent me their address with no other information.  

Then I got an email saying they could not send a return address label and I had to contact the seller to find out how they wanted to pay to return the items. I had no idea that international orders cannot do prepaid shipping labels.  

Why does eBay not say the actual truth about this in their return policies! This is ridiculous, given that most of eBay sellers are overseas.   I did sent an email to the seller and got an automated response saying they were away from Oct. 1st to 5th because of a holiday in China. I did a live chat with eBay customers service, who seemed very nice.  She said that the seller is responsible for the costs and eBay had given the seller until the 5th to arrange return shipping.  When I told her what the email said about being away until the 5th, she said she would sent a reminder email on the 6th if they hadn’t responded.  Why is eBay giving sellers more time when they already know what was expected?

Then customers service said that if I still didn’t hear from the seller after the reminder, I will have to contact eBay again and then they would provide return shipping before I can get a refund.  This means more work for me and I am going to be rushed to meet my shipping date, when it’s the seller causing problems.  In addition, eBay would also have to provide all the customs information.

I refuse to pay any money out of my own pocket to return something that was sold erroneously and fraudulently. This is not a case of the colour doesn’t look the same! Why are sellers being helped and ebay is putting all the work on the buyer when it’s the sellers fault in these situations. Especially, since I can prove that this item is not advertised legitimately?

Sellers are aware of the return shipping policies, but there are no consequences when overseas sellers don’t follow policies within their allotted timeframes. I have no way of knowing if the agent will actually send the reminder... she could get sick and not be at work. I don’t have much hope that the seller is honest, given that they knew days before the holiday that they had to arrange shipping and didn’t.

So my question is, should I ask eBay to step in now, so that I don’t miss my return timeframe and hopefully they can get the seller to be responsible or should I wait to see if the seller responds appropriately on their own? Sorry for the rant ☺️ Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree that the system for returning not as described items overseas is not well designed for buyers or sellers. Actually, the labels are only available directly through eBay if both buyer and seller are in the US so any international return is more complicated than a US one. Since ebay does not have direct access to make labels for other Postal systems I’m not sure how it could be made easier but the instructions etc could be more specific imo.

Your title asks if you should open a return claim but it sounds as if you have already done so?   Is in the seller in Asia? It’s unlikely that’s they know anything about the postal system here so it would be a good idea for you to let them know what the postage will be with delivery confirmation. If you still have the packaging that they used you can take it to the post office to get a price or weigh and measure it at home and  then use the Canada Post calculator to get a price.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e4s4

The return is time sensitive so you need to send it by air and it needs delivery confirmation so the only way to send it with that if the seller is in. China is Xpresspost which will probably be around $70.  It’s unlikely the seller will want to pay that so in the end they will likely refund you without a return.  I realize this requires some leg work on your end but it is better for you to get an accurate price rather than have the seller send you too little.
If the seller has alreadyapproved the return but doesn’t send you the money for postage I don’t know if the ‘ask ebay to step in’ option will be available so you might have to contact eBay again.  Unfortunately, the system is just not set up well enough to recognize that international returns do not work the same.

If the seller is in another country there might be less expensive ways to send the package with delivery confirmation so if that’s the case please let us know so that we can guide you.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

, I will have to contact eBay again and then they would provide return shipping before I can get a refund.

That's not right.

If the seller does not provide return shipping in a Not As Described * dispute, he loses the Dispute and is required to refund.

This is true no matter where the seller or buyer are located.

It's a sore point with Canadian sellers with unhappy US based customers.

You said you were talking to Customer Service.

Did you open an actual case in the Resolution Centre?

If you don't have an open case, go to the bottom of this page and open one now.

Many CS reps are unaware of minor points like: the USA is not the only country in the world.

The case will give you a date when you can Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller does not send return shipping and/or refund, eBay will refund you and go after the seller for their money.

It is unfortunate that eBay does not tell Customer Service reps to inform the unhappy Buyer that her first step should be to open that formal Dispute and instead allows them to give bad advice without the Dispute ever being formally opened.

You should be able to see on your eBay account whether you have an open Dispute.

If you do, escalate it.

If you don't open it and escalate it immediately. (You don't have to communicate with the seller. That's just a suggestion.)

*There is one instance where the seller does not have to send return shipping, which is the seller who sells with No Returns. However, No Returns does not mean No Refunds. It means he doesn't want it back.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

*There is one instance where the seller does not have to send return shipping, which is the seller who sells with No Returns. However, No Returns does not mean No Refunds. It means he doesn't want it back.

When a buyer opens a return request using a not as described reason the seller can send a label and request a return regardless of their return policy.  I don't see a no return policy as meaning want to refund without getting an item back, it means that they don't want returns for buyer remorse returns.

But In an international situation, once a seller accepts a return, I have a feeling that the claim can't be escalated unless the buyer contacts ebay.  
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I’m opening a case in the resolution centre. I heard back from the seller. Their email was quite simple. It said will you can your review? I answered NOPE!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply