Slow auction countdown timer

nsdan
Community Member

What gives with the countdown timer on eBay? I was getting ready to enter my bid on an item and was watching the timer count down as I like to enter as late as I can and still leave myself enough time to enter a higher bid if needed when I noticed the timer seemed to skip a second every 3 or 4 seconds when there was a minute and a half or so to go. Then it slowed to missing a second after every 2 seconds when it hit about 50 seconds left in the auction. When it hit 27 seconds left I thought I had better enter my bid and received an almost instant response that the auction was ended. This is not just sour grapes by a buyer who missed out on an item, it's also bad for the seller. The seller loses out on a higher price for his item. Makes me wonder about my own items I sell. Am I missing these late bids due to timer malfunction on my items. What freaking good is official eBay time if the countdown timer is no good. With all the money eBay makes and all the "improvements" they say are good for us you'd think a proper working timer would be foremost since these are "timed" auctions. Sorry for the rant. Just getting more and more frustrated with eBay.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Check out a couple posts below this one,titled ``what next``
More people that phone the better.
Lost a few myself over this .
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

having the same problem , want to bid , but the counter is freezing , example :  goes from 32 seconds left on the auction to 0 in a split second or it just freezes 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

tyler@ebay

Bid once.

Bid your maximum.

If someone else wins, that sucker paid too much.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Same problem with the timer either freezing or showing wrong time left (20 seconds to go or so, refresh and auction is already over...hope the issue gets fixed!!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

wrote:
Check out a couple posts below this one,titled ``what next``
More people that phone the better.
Lost a few myself over this .

The thread to which you are referring moves further down that landing page the more time passes without comment. It can be found here directly: https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/What-next/m-p/393295#M36840

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This is probably a very unsatisfying answer, but the most likely culprit is your internet connection. If your wifi -- or even your hard-wired connection -- experiences lag or loses connectivity for even a fraction of a second, it could easily cause the timer to "jump" in such a way. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I have a very fast speed connection on my computer at home.  I do not have trouble on any other site.  This has just started happening in the last month on eBay.  I believe it is another one of the many glitches happening on eBay on a daily basis.  Many of us buyers are missing out on these auctions lately because of this problem with the countdown timer.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Nothing wrong with my internet connection... and no I'm not on WiFi.
I'm savvy enough to perform my own diligence troubleshooting on this end before making the claim.
I was hesitant because it seemed unfathomable to me that a screwed up auction timer would be remotely acceptable to anybody... Particularly eBay.

The timer has been broken for a week now. I had problems again last night.

The auction countdown timer constantly stutters and has momentary freezes, and is incorrect when counting down. I've reloaded pages countless times and made several bids at supposedly a minute remaining, only to be greeted with an auction ended notification.

Initial thread:
https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/What-next/m-p/393295#M36840

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Good news...

Countdown timer is now working properly.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Still a problem  just happened to me and lost an item .... the time before I actually won somehow

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@shimanobassassin wrote:

Still a problem  just happened to me and lost an item .... the time before I actually won somehow

The original post would be considered a zombie but understand the annoyance. Another possibility is lag time on your device. Do you have multiple windows open? Flakey internet? Everyone on your street watching movies? Did you pay your internet bill? 🙂 It never hurts to clear cache and cookies. Or close the window/windows and then re-open when you are hot on the tail of an item to bid on.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 12
latest reply