The tracking number provided from the Seller does not work.

leo-chl-2rjaswmitb
Community Member

First, the problem is that I choose the  Economy International Shipping, but it ended up with EMS.

Also, the tracking number does not work at all. I went to various tracking website, most of them cannot find the parcel.

I already contact the seller, waiting for him to reply.

I wonder if there any cases where the tracking number does not work, but still able to deliver to the buyer. Also, what are the chances of a scam?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

For delivery purposes, as long as your name and address is on a package, it doesn't matter if there is a tracking number or not.

It's possible that it is an internal tracking number. The seller might send it to a company that handles overseas shipping or else it just hasn't been entered into the system at all.  

There could be a number of reasons why but if you don't end up getting the package you can file an item not received case on ebay the day after the last estimated delivery date.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I choose the Economy International Shipping, but it ended up with EMS.

Economy International Shipping is a buzzword meant to cover hundreds of different services offered by dozens of postal services around the world.

It's like the me saying I ship Parcel then choosing Expedited over Regular or ExpressPost.

the tracking number does not work at all

Not your problem.

It is possible that the seller made a typo entering the number.

EBay gave you a window for delivery. If EMS (which is actually fast and reliable) misses that window, you can open a Dispute and get your payment refunded.

any cases where the tracking number does not work, but still able to deliver to the buyer

For the letter carrier, tracking is irrelevant.

As long as the address is reasonably readable, she can deliver it.

If there is an error, the post office has people (usually off their usually duties because of injuries) who read and correct poorly addressed mail

what are the chances of a scam?

Very low, particularly in Canada.

Our postal codes are a carrier's postal walk, often only a few floors in an apartment building or a suburban block.

She knows her customers and corrects as she goes.

In the US there is a scam involving zipcodes, but their codes cover huge areas by comparison.

The rate of scamming on eBay is very low although we hear about the problems here a lot.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The problem is I don't know what's going on. Seller didn't answer my message. I ask the seller if he shipped my item because the tracking number is not working. However, he didn't respond at all. Right now it is not just is the item will arrive or not. It is communication. Before I bought the item, I asked if it going to ship to Canada, and he answers immediately. After I bought the answer and the tracking number isn't working so I asked him why is the tracking number now working, and did he ship my item? It would be really simple to just tell me he did/didn't ship my item. Also, I search about it and someone said you can acquire a tracking number before the seller actually ships the item.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What is the expected date for delivery?

You have 30 days after that last date to open a Dispute.

A tracking number is only for the benefit of the seller, not the buyer.

As you have learned, tracking can cause more anguish than not.

The fake number is not going to show your Paypal address or your eBay address, if it is a real number at all.

The seller loses the Claim and you are refunded.

If you are really upset, you can open an Item Not Received Dispute in Paypal during the 180 days after payment.  The PP Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your PP account page.

If you backed your PP account with a credit care, you can phone the 1-800 number on the card or your invoice, and enquire about a chargeback. Card policies differ.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It is frustrating not to know what is going on but if the item has been marked as shipped then you have to assume that it has been.  

A tracking number isn’t available until a label is purchased by the seller.

There are some labels that have a scan code on them but that aren’t actually trackable so that could be the situation here too. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply