Unpaid Notice? I just received an unpaid notice on 2 items

I just went to purchase an item on Ebay.ca, when I bid I got a message that I had 2 unpaid item notices, but I have no record of any unpaid items that I bid on or won over the years.  I also have bought things as recently as a week ago with no problem at all.  I'm wondering what could be happening with my account?  Why did I get this notice when I bid?  It make no sense to me and there is no where to contact Ebay to inquire what is happening and why I got this notice when I bid today.  Even more frustrating is my bid would of won the item if it was allowed to go through!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Do you know if any time over the past year you asked for (or caused) any items to be cancelled?

Recently eBay changed their policy so buyers now can be blocked not just for unpaid items but also for requested or causing cancellations. I know I had a buyer trying to bid with me that was from Australia and he was blocked for "cancellations". In his case people had cancelled his transactions since they didn't want to ship to Australia but the cancellation still counted against him (or so he told me).

Some sellers don't have the "block buyers with 2 or more unpaid/cancelled items" activated, but you wouldn't know until you tried to bid and/or buy. 

If you know of cancellations you may have caused that could be the reason. If not and it's a fluke try to contact eBay either from clicking "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page here (or any eBay page from a desktop) or through  social media - facebook, etc. (sorry I don't have the links since I don't use them, but someone here will I'm sure put it for you.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It does sound as if you had unpaid items sometime in the last year.   After a year, it wouldn't cause you to be blocked.  I don't know if unpaid items show up on your purchase history but you could check to see if there is anything there.  Not all sellers have the same or any unpaid item blocks so it might not affect you again but ebay may be able give you more info if you contact them via eBay Facebook or Twitter.  You can send a private message to eBay customer service there.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

A seller can block a specific buyer for cancelling a transaction with you but there is no general buyer block for buyers who make a certain number of cancellations.  Your buyer was confused.    

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The buyer was trying to tell me he had no unpaid items, only cancellations (you are right he may have been confused). I just looked now and I see the wording has changed yet again so it is confusing. This is how it is worded now in Site Preferences, originally it used to say Block Buyers with "unpaid purchases", then it changed to with "cancellations" and now it says "cancellations of unpaid purchases". It will no doubt change yet again! 

Buyer Requirements

Block buyers who caused 2 cancellations of unpaid purchases within 6 month(s).
Block buyers whose primary shipping address is in a location I don't ship to.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

When you file for an unpaid item now you have to go to 'cancel' and use the reason buyer has not paid. (or someonthing similar)   I suppose that is why they changed the wording but it still refers only to unpaid items.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Okay! I thought maybe a strike was also given if they ask for the transaction to be cancelled. I've had buyers ask to cancel and one of the choices was buyer requested. A few strikes might stop someone who tries asking for cancellations frequently just because they got buyers remorse.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply