Unusual seller behavior.

After purchasing something from Japan, I was told my package would be sent out by the next day.

The next day rolls around and I get a message saying the seller's company will be treated like a corporate entity and that the seller needs the name of my place of work and it's adress otherwise my purchased item will be shipped by EMS (which seller says would cost me $35).

Same day, a second message arrives saying they could ship the item (if I wish) by surface mail with tracking instead. It would take over a month to arrive.

I paid for "Standard international shipping".

If this is a different scam I'm unaware of?

I have every intention now of asking for a full refund.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Unusual seller behavior.

Standard International Shipping is a generic way of saying that the seller will ship to your country and they will decide how to ship when the order is made.

Today I shipped seven packages using a similar term (Economy International Shipping) all of which were also sold as  Free Shipping. Six of those were shipped as LetterPost without tracking and one as Tracked Packet USA for $12.46.

None of the buyers were charged shipping. That had been included in the asking price.

Sellers cannot raise the cost of shipping after purchase.

Sellers must ship to the address the buyer used when they bought.

The whole thought process of your seller is puzzling.

Were you given a price for shipping? (This would include Free Shipping.)

If not, the seller does have the right to charge you whatever price is reasonable.

If they did, you accepted that price (including Free Shipping) as part of the transaction and the seller cannot raise the price.

• Neither can the buyer reduce the price or suggest a cheaper method of shipping, by the way.

But rather than argue, I would agree to the cancellation and leave appropriate feedback.

The most effective feedback is  calm and factual. "Wanted me to change my shipping address and raised advertised cost of shipping. " perhaps.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Unusual seller behavior.

I paid $10-11 US for shipping.

The whole thing was puzzling to me too.

My order was cancelled, thankfully.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply