Waiting for a package from UK

I have been waiting on a package from UK that was posted

with tracking on November 12.  On November 13 tracking advised

that the package was being forwarded to the destination country

(Canada)  from Langley, UK.  There has been no updates on the tracking

by Royal Mail or Canada Post since Nov. 13.  Just wondering if anyone else

has experienced a delay like this ?  I have had  delays before with UK parcels

but not this long without a tracking update.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Tracking is a Seller Protection.

It does nothing but cause angst in buyers who follow it too closely.

Is your seller in Langley UK or was the purchase sent through the Global Shipping Program?

If the latter, once it gets to the GSP plant in the UK your seller's responsibility for delivery ends.
You can use Contact Seller on the original listing to ask him about this if you are not sure.

The other questions for him are the date of shipment, the service used and the tracking number. Even if you already have that information it gives him something concrete to respond to, and you can cross check his answers  with the information you are using.

We don't see as many UK GSP problems as we do US GSP ones, but both are run by PitneyBowes, the postage meter people, for eBay.

The REAL QUESTION  is -- what date did eBay give you as the last estimated date for delivery?

If that date has passed, you can go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page and open an Item Not Received (INR) dispute.

You can't open a Dispute until that date has passed. You have 30 days from that date to do this. 

The seller has five days to respond, basically either proving delivery or refunding you. If he does neither, eBay will refund you and go after him for their money.

You are also covered for INRs by Paypal and by the credit card you back your PP account with.

All shipping and tracking is a mess, worldwide and with every shipper, postal or private. 

FWIW- going in the opposite direction Canada Post gives December 4th  for ExpressPost parcels to the UK and Dec first for Tracked Packet mailings.  And that was before the sheer volume of holiday plus online shipping was realized.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hello,  The package originated in Bucks, UK  (Langley, is a distribution point at Heathrow Airport) and the final delivery dates posted on Ebay are Jan. 8 to 29.  Usually packages I have been expecting from UK have had updated Tracking and have arrived well before the Ebay posted

dates.  I guess this is a longer than usual delay.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

and the final delivery dates posted on Ebay are Jan. 8 to 29. 

Before the plague year, much overseas shipping moved in the cargo holds of passenger planes.

They subsidized the cost of moving people -- or possibly the passengers subsidized the cost of moving freight.

Fewer passenger flights- less excess cargo space available.

And while some airlines have pivoted to cargo handling, that's a lot of remodelling at a time when trades workers are in huge demand.

In any case, when you bought you were told that the earliest eBay thought you would see your purchase was January 8 and that they would not consider  a Dispute as   "not delivered" until January 29.

That normally shipments arrive earlier is not part of the deal, even though we are all used to faster service.

• As a side note, even a January8 delivery date is very slow for a November purchase. Since it actually was tracked in the UK, my first thought- that it was actually coming from Asia, since it's been my experience that Air Mail from the  UK takes about two weeks- was obviously wrong. But in spite of Heathrow Airport, I'm wondering if the seller chose a Surface shipping service, which would take two or more months.

Anyway, mark January 29 on your calendar and be prepared to open an INR dispute if it has not arrived by then.

Yes, things are slower. And I am concerned that there has been no movement. But there were some actual Holds on Canada -UK shipping earlier this month and I believe the UK is in another lockdown. I confess I haven't paid much attention to that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Many thanks !

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

Many thanks !

My most recent non-tracked from the UK...a low value book was about 9 weeks. When I let them know just got the standard be patient. Most likely your package is hung up somewhere in the same delays.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The old saying "patience is a virtue "

Thank you

James

Message 7 of 7
latest reply