Was I wrong to expect FREE SHIPPING on my multi-item order?

I want to know, before I talk to the seller about it, if I was wrong to expect FREE SHIPPING on my multi-item order.

Here's the situation: I bought three items from one seller. Two were small in size and price and had postage fees associated with them. The third was big in size and quite expensive and had FREE POSTAGE. When I placed the order for all three, I assumed that since the other two were small in size and not very valuable at all, they would be added to the large, costly item and ship for free, like it was supposed to ship for free.

However, the seller has sent me a combined invoice with the shipping for the first two added to it. Nothing is being shipped for free now.

This is a domestic order, not crossing any borders, and valued at about $170 USD. 

I didn't not clarify how the seller would combine shipping before I made the purchases. I merely assumed it would work like a merchant checkout.

What, if anything, should I say or do before paying for this? I was operating on the assumption this seller would combined postage the way other ebay sellers have: adding the cheap, small items to the large, costly one that ships for free. Not the other way around.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"I was operating on the assumption this seller would combined postage the way other ebay sellers have: adding the cheap, small items to the large, costly one that ships for free."

Those are the very words you should use with the seller when asking if it would be appropriate to send a revised combined invoice without any shipping charge..

Whether the seller agrees or not, there is not much you can do about it since the seller had not agreed to combined "free shipping" prior to you making your purchases.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

(I would also like to specify the order is all used toys. It's not as if the seller has a bottom-line to meet on their sale.)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"I was operating on the assumption this seller would combined postage the way other ebay sellers have: adding the cheap, small items to the large, costly one that ships for free."

Those are the very words you should use with the seller when asking if it would be appropriate to send a revised combined invoice without any shipping charge..

Whether the seller agrees or not, there is not much you can do about it since the seller had not agreed to combined "free shipping" prior to you making your purchases.

Good Luck.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Contact the seller with your view on shipping and see what they say. The invoice can be revised before you pay.

-..-

Side note: I've had one occasion where combined shipping for 2 auctions was more expensive than if they had been mailed separately. The seller charged actual shipping but sent via a more expensive method because of the value. I still buy from him, but never more than one at a time.

-..-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

(I would also like to specify the order is all used toys. It's not as if the seller has a bottom-line to meet on their sale.)

What makes you think that?

While many sellers of used children's goods start with their own family's outgrown stuff, some go on to garage sailing and thrifting to find more clean high quality items for their business.

Even with family discards, there is a cost for the seller's time (here in BC the minimum wage is 17 cents a minute) and fees to both eBay and Paypal, including a 10% fee on shipping.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

The listing states they are clearing out their own collection of used toys because they don't need, want or use them anymore. That's how I know they weren't purchased for the purpose of resale. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I did politely contact the seller, and the invoice was promptly revised to show free domestic economy postage. 

Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Glad to read it worked out for you.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply