What is the point of these scams?

So, I did something that is notoriously dumb around here, and went ahead with a purchase of a camera that sold for under half of what other sellers are asking - and from a brand new seller with no sales history. 

I'm well aware its a scam, but thought I'd try just in case it was real. (how dumb am I, right?)

What I can't figure out is what the benefit is to the scammer if it is in fact a scam?

If they simply don't ship anything, or ship something stupid, since its a brand new account, ebay won't release funds to them for a few weeks. Are they hoping I just don't bother to open a dispute? 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

What is the point of these scams?

Yep.

Look at all those negative feedbacks on some accounts. Those are usually from buyers who did not understand how to get a refund through eBay or Paypal. Many will mention having emailed dozens of times over weeks and weeks.

The item may never be sent, because it never existed.

Another version is to send a picture-- the same picture used in the listing-- instead of the item. Often the greatest cost for the scammer is the tracking service that stops a naive buyer from opening a Not Received dispute.

It's sometimes mentioned that the seller may be harvesting active email addresses, although I don't understand how that would work, unless the scammer is selling sucker lists.

I believe US sellers get the newbie Hold on payments removed when the tracking shows delivery. Even non-US sellers who must wait up to 21 days can schmooze buyers into waiting over that three weeks so the money is released.

Put the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar.

If the item does not arrive, file a Not Received dispute.

If the item is not what was described, file a Not As Described dispute.

Disputes can be filed through the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If an item is NAD, the seller must send return shipping and refund, or refund without a return.

In any case, you will be refunded.

Or the seller may just be a bit dim .

Message 2 of 2
latest reply