... What is wrong with eBay Chat? Seller used wrong shipping method and pocketed the difference...

Hi all,

I've been trying to explain this simple issue to eBay Chat agents, but they don't seem to understand.

I bought an item that had two shipping options:

1. Standard Shipping

2. Express Shipping

I paid for Express Shipping, seller shipped via Standard Shipping and took the extra money.

I have tried messaging the seller but no response.

eBay chat agents don't seem to understand this issue - how is is OK for sellers not to honor express shipping charges and just pocket the difference? 

The agents on eBay just go round and round to say it has "shipped".

Package arrived today - 3 days late, because it was shipped via parcel post rather than XpressPost (which I paid for).

What options do I have?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

... What is wrong with eBay Chat? Seller used wrong shipping method and pocketed the difference...

I'd start by reaching out to the seller first and ask for a refund as XpressPost is a higher cost than regular parcel/expedited shipping. 

If they are unresponsive, you may be able to open a ticket, although I'm not sure how effective this will be as you received the item undamaged (I'm assuming). The problem with ship dates is that there's always the possibility that it will arrive late anyways, even with XpressPost. In eBay's eyes, 3 days late is considered a success! 

You do have the option as well to leave negative feedback for the seller which, depending on how reputable they are, may encourage them to work out a solution with you. Only leave negative feedback if you've reached out to them and haven't heard back in a few days. Certainly don't leave negative feedback prior to contacting them and giving them time to respond (3-4 days). 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Both Standard and Express shipping are meaningless.

They are generic terms meant to cover the thousands of services available to sellers all around the world when they are not selling on their home site and must use Flat Rate.

The only differences are how much they will cost the customer and how quickly it will may be delivered.

If the Express generic service was supposed to deliver in 10 days, but took 20 days, you could open an Item Not Received dispute on Day 11.

But if it arrived in 9 days, you could not do that. Whatever else happened, the parcel arrived before the deadline.

And COVID.

EBay has not extended delivery time although for nearly 18 months all shippers, including Canada Post, have been struggling to meet their own standards for delivery.

Hold ups of weeks are common and sellers are losing INR disputes because they cannot prove delivery.

Your dispute would fail, because the seller can prove delivery, although there was a delay.

It cannot succeed because the seller used a generic term for the service provided.

because it was shipped via parcel post rather than XpressPost (which I paid for).

So this was shipped within Canada?

What did the listing say?

Was the shipping service called XpressPost or was it called  Express (the generic term)?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply