What's up with shipping delays from China and eBay 1) not covering MONEYBACK gurantee; 2) feedback

cchenzz
Community Member

My recent purchases from sellers based China starting from November has been disastrous when it comes to delivering to Canada.  The average delivery time is more than 2 months, more like 3 months in some cases.  One purchase I made in early December 2016 (162347823135) has not been delivered but eBay MONEYBACK gurantee has ran out (to my surprise!!!).  The only reason I started on this trail is because something I purchased in mid January just arrived today.  Again to my surprise, I am not able to provide my buyer feedback on this item because the so called set period has expired.  WHAT IS GOING ON?  At this rate, I would not be able to buy anything from eBay's China based sellers because the restrictions I face as a long time Canadian buyer!  This is getting ridiculous.  Please explain what can be done from eBay side.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What's up with shipping delays from China and eBay 1) not covering MONEYBACK gurantee; 2) feedback

The answer will be clear if you google 'Chinese fentanyl mail' and read about it. All lettermail coming from China now has to be screened by Customs for illegal and toxic drugs, the kind that are killing Canadians in record numbers. This is possibly the cause of your delays. Go to Paypal and open Items Not Received cases within 180 days of purchase once you've lost patience in waiting and DO NOT accept offers to replace. That most likely will not end well either. 

If and when the original items show, you can repay the seller using Paypal's Send Money feature.

In the meantime, I would suggest buying from sellers within North America, UK, Europe and/or Australia. Canadian sellers will get you purchases faster than any others in most cases.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The first example http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/a-killer-high-how-canada-got-addicted-tofentanyl/...

There are literally hundreds of more articles like this one. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

While eBay's warranty is only 30 days past last estimated delivery date, you have 180 days from payment for Paypal's disputes.

The PP Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your PP account page.

You will need the PP transaction number.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller. This is a courtesy.

If the seller does not refund promptly -- and that is a refund not an offer of a replacement, which would be a scam-- escalate to a Claim

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping -delivery) you will be refunded.

If the item arrives after the refund you can return the refund by using PP's Send Money service.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have ordered lots from China, not one of them have been opened so why the heck they should be sitting at the Customs??  More likley sitting at Canada Post as one of the employees claimed.  I think the problem is that the mail system treated them as "surface" when in fact they are "airmail" and they don't use blue stickers which the mail system will notice they are airmail not surface which I think is the problem.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

In today's age of mail processing, I don't think employees are looking for Airmail stickers. Machines are looking for bar codes. Your recent mail from China may not have been opened but you can bet it was scanned. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ cchenzz
@mjwl2006 wrote:

"The answer will be clear if you google 'Chinese fentanyl mail' and read about it. All lettermail coming from China now has to be screened by Customs for illegal and toxic drugs, the kind that are killing Canadians in record numbers."

"In the meantime, I would suggest buying from sellers within North America, UK, Europe and/or Australia. Canadian sellers will get you purchases faster than any others in most cases."  

Indeed you are right about the Fentanyl problem.  It clogs up the whole Vancouver mail customs clearance process, it is major, and very likely a long term problem.  It still makes headlines.

When buying,  avoid buying anything that would transit through Vancouver.  Avoid seller locations in Western and Mid-West USA, avoid all Asian countries,  avoid Australia & NZ, since shipments from all those locations will be stuck in the Vancouver mess just the same.

Mainland Europe is an excellent choice, especially from sellers located in countries with good infrastructures- western.  Items arrive promptly.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for sharing insight from your perspective. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply