Why does PayPal need me to open a case with the local police about a missing package from Hong Kong?

I got half the order, the other half didn't make it.  The seller said they'd send the rest with tracking 30 days ago, didn't.  Seller said they'd send a refund and didn't.  Papal has all of this in the open case, but today said they won't proceed unless I have documentation from Canadian authorities that I opened an investigation.  **bleep** is going?  In what world am I reporting a lost package from Hong Kong to the police?  Is this the norm now?  Is this how PayPal prevents giving refunds?  I'm baffled 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Why does PayPal need me to open a case with the local police about a missing package from Hong Kong?

I should also point out I only asked for approximately 35% of the total bill because 1 of the 2 sweaters arrived and this one was worth less, I didn't even factor in shipping.  I'm just shocked they'd expect me to open a case with local police, they have enough problems, they don't need to laugh me out of the station. lol

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It may be the partial refund.

Paypal normally wants the disputed item to be returned by the buyer and then make a full refund.

Remember they are payment processors and not merchants as such. 

If PP doesn't work out you may still be covered by the chargeback provisions of the credit card you back your PP account with.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You should have taken the case through ebay..

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@esclyons 

Good point to remember in future.

EBay allows Disputes for 30 days after delivery. (Usually) the seller pays for return shipping.

Even "no return" policies do not mean no refunds and a return may not be required.

Buyer can "appeal" decision to Paypal or her credit card.

Paypal allows Disputes for 180 days from payment. Usually the buyer pays for return shipping.

If a PP dispute is opened, eBay will not allow an eBay dispute. Buyer can "appeal" decision to the credit card she uses to back her PP account.

Chargeback policies of credit cards differ, but the transaction was processed through Paypal, even if the buyer does not have a PP account.

If a chargeback is opened, neither eBay nor PP will allow a followup dispute.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply