Why doesn't a seller have to give a feedback rating when they ship item?

It makes no sense  whatsoever, their portion of the transaction is complete yet the majority of sellers wait until the buyer gives their comment.  Basically they (the seller), is determining their rating given to a buyer on the purchasers comments.  This is absolute nonsense, a purchaser is therefor given very little choice but to give an excellent rating to the seller so they may receive similar feedback.

Let's face it, the feedback rating is all a purchaser on ebay has to determine if the dealer (seller) is in good standing.  Yet, these sellers are allowed to wait until your response is left, then they give you feedback.  This is not right and it should not be acceptable practice on ebay.

As I see it, a seller should be made (as part of the selling procedure) to determine a buyers feedback as soon as the product is shipped.  Duh!  But no, currently I'm waiting for 9 items to be shipped to my home yet ebay finds it acceptable to bombard me with "waiting for feedback" messages on undelivered goods.  Why place to onus on the buyer?  Let's face it, with no buyer there's no ebay.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

regards,

Fraser Pears

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

"This is absolute nonsense, "

I agree with you.

"a purchaser is therefor given very little choice but to give an excellent rating to the seller so they may receive similar feedback."

Not so.  The buyer does not have to give any feedback.

Keep in mind that a feedback rating is much more important to the seller than the buyer.  If the seller has a policy of not giving feedback until he/she has received it, walk away.

"yet ebay finds it acceptable to bombard me with "waiting for feedback" messages on undelivered goods. "

Here eBay is clearly wrong.  They have no business telling buyers to leave feedback when they have not received the goods and feedback from the seller.  Do not be shy about it: tell eBay.  Every Wednesday afternoon (1:00pm Eastern time) the staff and management of eBay-Canada has a Weekly Board Hour:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/bd-p/23000000073

Go ahead, tell them what you think.  If enough buyers express their feelings on the subject, eBay may change their ways.  They sure will not unless they are told they are doing something wrong.

PS - eBay staffers do not read posts on discussion boards except for the Wednesday Board Hour.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I agree the the feedback rating is of utmost importance to the seller however, it's also important to someone like myself who also requires a "good" rating to purchase.  I buy what can only be described as luxury items, primarily watches that can cost into the thousands of dollars on individual purchases.  These vendors have lost many a sale, or at least delayed a sale, by purchasers who only want to play the bidding game.  There only guard against this is to qualify the prospective clients by their purchase feedback.  Believe me, I have come across this situation quite a few times in my short sojourn here on ebay.  

Anyway, I may try to sit in on one of the Wednesday 10:00 am meetings, I do have a way of getting my thoughts across...

Thanks again, it's assumed we'll communicate more than once on this forum.

regards,

Fraser

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

however, it's also important to someone like myself who also requires a "good" rating to purchase.

Sellers can only give positive or no feedback. All buyers have 100% positive feedback.

While sellers are allowed to cancel any bids effectively for any reason, this is only true with auctions. Sellers who use Fixed Price have no control over who is buying their items at all. We don't see the customer until he has made the purchase.

If you dislike the 'bidding game' just ignore all auctions. Or set your Search to "Buy It Now" instead of the default "All Listings".

If I were having my bids cancelled by a seller who was taking a low feedback number as a Bad Thing, I would be moving on. In my opinion, such people are reacting to the way they themselves would act in certain situations.

That is, if he is thinking you will be dishonest, it is more likely that he would act dishonestly in a similar situation.

I don't want to deal with that kind of person.

I prefer to leave feedback for my buyers when I ship, but in part that is a way of reminding myself that I did ship and when. I have held back when shipping to a buyer who tends to leave a lot of negative feedback on occasion. Well, once anyway.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

THe FB thing is as old as ebay almost and has been evenly split between those of the FB when shipped school and the FB when received school

Personally, I'd stick with the FB as a response to buyer FB for me. The sellers job is not done when the item is posted but when the item is received and approved, as long as the item is the seller's responsibility, the deal is not over.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

iused to give fb after payment received,

now i wait till i know item has been received,i like to know that it has reached buyer.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@nudibranch4569 wrote:

iused to give fb after payment received,

now i wait till i know item has been received,i like to know that it has reached buyer.

actually buyers mostly dont give fb,out of 460 transactions ive only got 299 feed bcks,and i hve lft fb for every transaction up till now at least,think ill wait till fb recieved from now on

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@2012streetr675 wrote:

It makes no sense  whatsoever, their portion of the transaction is complete yet the majority of sellers wait until the buyer gives their comment.  Basically they (the seller), is determining their rating given to a buyer on the purchasers comments.  This is absolute nonsense, a purchaser is therefor given very little choice but to give an excellent rating to the seller so they may receive similar feedback.

Let's face it, the feedback rating is all a purchaser on ebay has to determine if the dealer (seller) is in good standing.  Yet, these sellers are allowed to wait until your response is left, then they give you feedback.  This is not right and it should not be acceptable practice on ebay.

As I see it, a seller should be made (as part of the selling procedure) to determine a buyers feedback as soon as the product is shipped.  Duh!  But no, currently I'm waiting for 9 items to be shipped to my home yet ebay finds it acceptable to bombard me with "waiting for feedback" messages on undelivered goods.  Why place to onus on the buyer?  Let's face it, with no buyer there's no ebay.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

regards,

Fraser Pears

Hi @2012streetr675,

Sellers can only give positive ratings to buyers so don't feel like you are being forced into giving a seller a positive rating if they didn't provide positive service.

Also I'm not sure what the logic is behind the feedback reminder emails but I would advise simply turning off the emails. 

To do that:

1) Go to My eBay

2) Click on the Account tab

3) Scroll down to the Feedback section under the General Preferences section

4) Click Show

5) Click on the Feedback Reminder drop down and choose "None"

6) Click the Save button.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Welcome, ryanne. Nice to see an eBay representative posting in the forums.

I tried to follow your instructions but I can't find the option you mention.

ryanne@ebay.com wrote:

@2012streetr675 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong,

regards,

Fraser Pears

Hi @2012streetr675,

Sellers can only give positive ratings to buyers so don't feel like you are being forced into giving a seller a positive rating if they didn't provide positive service.

Also I'm not sure what the logic is behind the feedback reminder emails but I would advise simply turning off the emails. 

To do that:

1) Go to My eBay

2) Click on the Account tab

3) Scroll down to the Feedback section under the General Preferences section

---> Confused here: I see Site Preferences under Account tab and when I click on Site Preferences, I see a General Preferences section with no Feedback section.

4) Click Show

5) Click on the Feedback Reminder drop down and choose "None"

---> Cannot find this.

6) Click the Save button.

Thanks,

Ryanne

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Maybe not the same My eBay setup since I am using Selling Manager (basic not pro)???

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Maybe not the same My eBay setup since I am using Selling Manager (basic not pro)???

Ok it is in fact different.

1) Click on the Account tab

2) Then click on Communication Preferences in the left hand navigation.

3) Scroll down to General Preferences and then click on Feedback there.

I hope that helps.

Ryanne

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

ryanne@ebay.com wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Ok it is in fact different.

1) Click on the Account tab

2) Then click on Communication Preferences in the left hand navigation.

3) Scroll down to General Preferences and then click on Feedback there.

I hope that helps.

Ryanne

That works, I found it as described above. The difference is because I use Selling Manager as I suspected.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply