Why post tracking number if you can't track the package?

kydice_0
Community Member

I hope this makes sense to someone...

Why do sellers post a tracking number if you can't track the item. In my case, When you buy something with free shipping, It just says shipping number provided. That cool and all but how do you expect people NOT to freak out when they don't get any information on the item they paid for, and is in limbo for 2 months. Ebay, PayPal and or the shipping company has to do something about this. It's kind of like your boss dropping of a stack of papers on your desk with no instructions , then you get fired for doing it wrong. Communication is the way we build trust. If there is no telling when your package is going to get there, besides "Estimated delivery". How can you tell if your getting screwed? Don't get me wrong. I know Ebay will step in and do what they do to resolve the problem, but most of the problems come from late shipments. Someone need to do something. Anyways, this is my rant.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tracking is  Seller Protection.

It doesn't make your purchase move faster or more securely.

It is used by Sellers in cases where there is  a Dispute about Delivery.

Basically, you are asking the wrong question.

As dennis says, ask the Seller for the number, but you already know the package is not in your hands, so don't get into a discussion about this.

DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER OF A REPLACEMENT.

It won't arrive either.

If that delivery deadline has passed you have 30 days to  open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

The first suggestion, not a command,a suggestion, is to contact the seller.

All you want is the date of shipping, the service used and a tracking number that shows the shipment has arrived in Canada*.

If you don't get that, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the deadline plus 30 days have passed, you still have 180 days from Payment to file a claim with Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The process is basically the same.

If you back your PP account with a credit card, you can also file with the card for a chargeback.

*Rotating strikes plus Christmas shipping means there is a lot of stuff backed up, but tracking would probably show that it is somewhere in Canada if it is.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You contact the seller and ask where the provided number can be tracked.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Tracking is  Seller Protection.

It doesn't make your purchase move faster or more securely.

It is used by Sellers in cases where there is  a Dispute about Delivery.

Basically, you are asking the wrong question.

As dennis says, ask the Seller for the number, but you already know the package is not in your hands, so don't get into a discussion about this.

DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER OF A REPLACEMENT.

It won't arrive either.

If that delivery deadline has passed you have 30 days to  open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

The first suggestion, not a command,a suggestion, is to contact the seller.

All you want is the date of shipping, the service used and a tracking number that shows the shipment has arrived in Canada*.

If you don't get that, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the deadline plus 30 days have passed, you still have 180 days from Payment to file a claim with Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The process is basically the same.

If you back your PP account with a credit card, you can also file with the card for a chargeback.

*Rotating strikes plus Christmas shipping means there is a lot of stuff backed up, but tracking would probably show that it is somewhere in Canada if it is.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Do you mean if you used a credit card either through PP or on its own, you can file a chargeback?

To me saying that you've backed your PP account with a credit card means you have it on file with PP. If you don't use the card, having it on file wouldn't allow for a chargeback.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I rarely check for a tracking number but if it is something that is important to you, ask the seller if they will be providing an online tracking number. Keep in mind that you often have to pay quite a bit more, especially if it is an overseas transaction.  If you don't want to wait for 2 or 3 months in limbo...buy from a seller that has a shorter delivery time so that you can file a claim sooner.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply