eBay and buyer protections

dandufeu
Community Member

I feel really let down on my recent purchase, and wondering if anyone has any tips for me.

I'm in a case where I need to return a new-to-me phone because it doesn't charge. The seller is 100% rated and sells lots of phones and advertised returns are accepted within 30 days, Money Back and "100% satisfaction guaranteed".

eBay and the seller are refusing the return because they claim I *may* have "ruined the phone" by using a USB charger that was not the phone brand (the seller didn't ship with a charger and the charger I have is a very popular and highly rated one sold on amazon). The dispute closed very quickly, before many details were shared. I haven't even taken off the protective film that the seller put on.

I'm astonished that now I have basically nowhere to turn but to try and get a chargeback from Visa. I cannot leave feedback about my sale now because the dispute was resolved in the seller's favour.  I chose to buy from him because of the 100% rating but now I know it's misleading  because customers with experiences like mine can't share them.

I would like to return the phone and also leave feedback to other buyers that the seller basically didn't honour his warranty or return policy. I don't think the seller should maintain his perfect score.

Has anyone had a similar situation with a seller (and eBay) and any tips on resolving it?

Thanks,
Dan.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EBay is your first line of protection.

Your second is Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

skip the suggestion that you contact the seller,you've done that.

Ask PP to step in and escalate to a claim.

Here's the problem.

While PP allows 180 days from payment for Disputes, the buyer is required to return the unwanted item on her own dime.

With Confirmation of Delivery. Signature if valued over $650 including postage.

So you will need this.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

BTW, ask at the PO counter for a Small Business Solutions Card. They are free, give you a 5% discount, and you don't have to be a business.

If the seller does not refund when you show the item is returned as instructed, PP will refund you and go after the seller for their money.

And if that doesn't work, you still have VISA.

Which,by the way, is why we experienced sellers encourage upset new sellers to refund immediately on return.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Do you mean does not charge at all, or does not hold a charge?

Have you tested the charger to make sure it's working properly? There are lots of fakes on amazon.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The charge ends at ~75% capacity.

I'm 100% sure it's not the charger. I do my research and buy highly rated ones.

I also tried 3 different chargers, with three different cables, same result.

I also invited a friend over with the same model phone and it charged to 100% fine, no problem.

Either way, the claim that I've somehow damaged the phone just by using my own charger (when none was provided) is one issue here. The second issue is that I cannot provide feedback to other buyers that if they have an issue, they will be faced with a seller who isn't necessarily going to honour his "100% satisfaction guaranteed" claim.

I think it is shameful that eBay automatically prevents me from submitting feedback just because I opened a case and it didn't resolve in my favour (yet). This certainly skews the perception that the seller has no complaints, when in fact there could be many.

Dan.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

EBay is your first line of protection.

Your second is Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

skip the suggestion that you contact the seller,you've done that.

Ask PP to step in and escalate to a claim.

Here's the problem.

While PP allows 180 days from payment for Disputes, the buyer is required to return the unwanted item on her own dime.

With Confirmation of Delivery. Signature if valued over $650 including postage.

So you will need this.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

BTW, ask at the PO counter for a Small Business Solutions Card. They are free, give you a 5% discount, and you don't have to be a business.

If the seller does not refund when you show the item is returned as instructed, PP will refund you and go after the seller for their money.

And if that doesn't work, you still have VISA.

Which,by the way, is why we experienced sellers encourage upset new sellers to refund immediately on return.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks!

I must say I'm a little worried that the seller will still claim I damaged the phone somehow. I guess I should take pictures before sending it as well.

But also, I'm now reading some other forums and found a case where this same seller refused to take a not-quite-working phone back and shipped it back to the buyer (again)... claiming new scratches were on the phone.

What a nightmare this could be.

IMO, it is quite sad for eBay. I don't think I can feel comfortable using it again and certainly wont put any faith in the "eBay Money Back Guarantee" logo... 😞

I'm hoping for an eBay resolution ATM.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Paypal doesn't deal with the product.

It deals with the money.

The difference is that with PP, you pay for the return postage.

If they thought about it philosophically, this is a guard against scammers who would 'rent' an item, use it for a while, and then return it.

Like a prom dress. Or in a family-famous story, my sister's MIL who bought a new kitchen set from Eaton's and returned it after the wedding  shower.

It was a while back, the sister is now a great-grandmother.

So that scam has been going on for a while.

The 'buyer pays return' is meant to deal with the 'buyer's remorse'. It doesn't stop truly unhappy customers.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply