eBay.com listings not allowing Canadians to bid despite Canada not being excluded

This is new. I first noticed it last week.

A US eBay seller lists an item that is supposedly available worldwide with some exclusions, however Canada is not on the exclusion list but is also not on the dropdown list of countries they DO ship to. It should be on one or the other but it's on neither.

When a Canadian goes to bid they get a Buyer Requirement error screen saying the seller does not ship to Canada.

However, in one case when I messaged the seller about it they were unaware that Canadians couldn't bid on their item.

They then spent a lot of time on the phone with a CSR who couldn't help them fix the problem and then suggested that I get in touch with the help desk and they would set it up so I, despite being in Canada, could bid on the item. Which is ridiculous since it would still mean other Canadians could not bid.

I've noticed this same issue with numerous other eBay.com listings over the past week or so.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

eBay.com listings not allowing Canadians to bid despite Canada not being excluded

"It should be on one or the other but it's on neither. "

Maybe, maybe not.

For example, my listings exclude China and Russia (through "my preferences").  The listings show I ship to Canada, USA and Europe.

If someone from Mexico or Japan tries to bid or buy, eBay will provide the message that I do not ship to his country.

It is not unusual to have conflicting messages when the seller did not set up the listing perfectly.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I've been buying and selling daily on eBay for over a decade and have never encountered this particular issue.

It has shown up on multiple listings by various sellers only in the past week or so.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Can you please provide a specific listing number?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Checking the listing, we see the seller ships to:

Shipping to: United States, United Kingdom, Australia, China, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Singapore, Switzerland, Malaysia

That information is entered by the seller.  Somehow, he forgot to include Canada!

He also has a long list of countries he excludes but that is immaterial since you do not come from a country excluded.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It would have been much easier for the seller to state shipping worldwide except for "excluded countries" instead of trying to nail every country he wants to ship to and those he wants to avoid. With 200 countries around the world, it is easy to make a mistake and miss a few.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

He's not the only one. As I already said, I've seen exactly the same thing on numerous listings by other US eBay sellers, with exactly the same exclusions and exactly the same "ship to" destinations (which bizarrely includes Malaysia but not Canada).

It seems to be a glitch.

My purpose in posting on this forum is to connect with others who have noticed the same thing and to make unsuspecting Canadian buyers aware that this is an issue.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Did you get to make the purchase?  The seller should be able to revise their listing, go to international shipping and add Canada. For the listing number that you gave, that seller is using the gsp for countries that he is shipping to. But its odd that there are only some gsp countries listed.

I think that the problem is a combination of the listing form not being straight forward and the seller not really knowing how to set up international listings.

If the other listings that you are referring to are using the gsp for the countries that they do ship to, then perhaps there is a glitch with the gsp settings??

Message 9 of 9
latest reply