If you have multiples of items is it better?

If you have multiples of items that are exactly the same, it is better to just use one listing with say 3 quantity, or just use sell similar when one sells?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hi,

I have multiples of the same item.  eBay used to say that you get better placement if you listed quantities.  I have done it both ways and it does not seem to make any difference.  Occassionally a store from another country would buy multiples but that has not happened for a very long time.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

If you have multiples of items that are exactly the same, it is better to just use one listing with say 3 quantity, or just use sell similar when one sells?

It's better to use "relist", that will (mostly?) have the same effect as a multi-quantity listing as the sales history carries over on relist.

Use Sell Similar when you want to eliminate the previous selling history (when that history is not good).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If you list just one, sell it  and relist, I didn't think that search recognized the previous sales history at least not as much as one that has multiple sales but I could be wrong.  If I have more than one of an item I usually list it with multiple quantities as a gtc listing.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

My understanding is that a multi item listing gets much improved visibility when it sells items.

At least in my world I know this is true, my best selling multi item always has high placement.....
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
My understanding is that a multi item listing gets much improved visibility when it sells items.
At least in my world I know this is true, my best selling multi item always has high placement.....

That's been my understanding, and my experience too.  I list a lot of multiples, and always use GTC for them.  

The more that sell of a particular item (and in fact, I've discovered, it seems even the more watchers it accumulates), the better the listing seems to do in visibility.  And of course there is the "out of stock" option if you want to keep that data "stuck" to a listing that has sold out and is then replenished and relisted.  I like that feature. 

The other advantage of using GTC multiple-quantity listings is that they keep track of your inventory level without any fuss or bother.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

All of my listings have been for one book, even if I have several copies of the same book.

Once sold  I will wait a week or two for the purchase to be delivered,  and then relist.  I sell only to Canada and the US.

Once relisted the new listing will show near the top of Best Match for a short period of time.  Once relisted, in many instances I will get many views.  At times a relist has sat high on Best match for weeks.. up to three weeks for a few books.

If I only list one copy of a book, potential buyers will view  the price differently than if I listed multiple quantities.... a perceived rarity

Many times  I have had many copies of a book   and sometimes  this book has sold well with each relist...

For my listings associated sales are important....  at times....  It is like a tsunami of sales...with each new relist...

------------------------

My primary focus is books  within History > Canada.  category

The aim is to have sales promote views in this one category......

It is in my store  that I will make a breakdown into sub-categories.

If you look at books on eBay, the emphasis is a breakdown in relation to the History of the US.....  Canada is secondary, if at all.

As an example  all of the books dealing with Canada's military history  are listed under History > Canada  with a defined division presented  in the store......  This gives me close to 450 books in this one category of Canada's History.  Not lots of views, but lots of good sales....  which may help the  promotion of other books in the category   History > Canada....

I do have a very good supply of military books  that can be relisted with each sale...  Listing one at a time keeps the "rarity principle"   at work for me. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

That's been my understanding, and my experience too.  I list a lot of multiples, and always use GTC for them.  

The more that sell of a particular item (and in fact, I've discovered, it seems even the more watchers it accumulates), the better the listing seems to do in visibility.  And of course there is the "out of stock" option if you want to keep that data "stuck" to a listing that has sold out and is then replenished and relisted.  I like that feature. 

The other advantage of using GTC multiple-quantity listings is that they keep track of your inventory level without any fuss or bother.  

My best item has at the moment 10,477 views and 268 sales. (it has been a GTC since 2010)

When I did my google search, it came up on the first page too, so I'm sure there is something good about active multi items....

It has been calm for a while, but what happens is someone buys one then a burst of them will go (this is my experience generally with multi item listings). 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I just sold an item that I had multiples and now that item is 1st for best match.  It does get a boost.  We will see if the other ones sells relatively quickly or not.  It does have 2 watchers. 

What I did notice is that when you go to search for sold items it doesn't show up though.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on what item you are selling.  I have see some sellers that sell multiple slides and it turns us off as it may means that they are selling duplicate slides not original slides, same with 8x10 photos of famous celebrities.  If books, music, movies, it may be okay.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Mine is an Anne Murray CD "There's a Hippo in my Tub".  Very popular with children.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I just sold an item that I had multiples and now that item is 1st for best match.  It does get a boost.  We will see if the other ones sells relatively quickly or not.  It does have 2 watchers. 

What I did notice is that when you go to search for sold items it doesn't show up though.  

I believe that sold items usually show in sold at the end of the 30 day listing period even if it's a gtc.  At least I think that's how it works though I notice the hippo cd is showing in sold now,  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Just sold the 2nd Hippo, so it does boost the search and sales.  I have gone 6 months without a sale on this one and to have 2 in one month is good. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I have always thought that multi quantity listing  got more attention or placement through eBay however it is not always the case.  I just searched my highest viewed/watched item with the most sales.

Canada 1 cent 1920.....622 sold to date, 76 watchers, 11578 views.

I searched "Canada 1 cent 1920" and it came up in 3rd place on the first page under "Best match" search.  

I am happy with this except the 2 that beat it out.....?? I have no idea how they got higher.  

But here's the funny part.  Keep hitting search and I keep getting 3rd place but the 2 above me keep swapping positions from 1st to 2nd and vice versa....

Who do you have to sleep with around here to get top spot......LOL

Message 14 of 14
latest reply