file for refund in ebay or paypal? CP track number created affect getting money returned?

Paid for item 03/29.
It was a box of face mesks/PPE. I think he sold 100 boxes or so.
Location in listing said Ontario CA.

Next morning the purchase history says
"We removed this listing from the site. For more information and next steps go to Messages.
For information about delivery, view your order details."

I never received a Message otherwise from ebay.

Item never got here

The seller now seems is in China/HK.

Item indicated "shipped" in Purchase History on 03/30
says delivery Thu, Apr 02 - Fri, Apr 17

with Can Post track number in ebay

CP site says
"Apr. 3 Electronic information submitted by shipper"
elsewhere "The sender has created a shipping label. When we receive the
item, we’ll update its status and expected delivery date."

Appears the seller has not taken the package to the post office

Qs.

1. is it better to file the dispute in ebay or paypal?

2. is the deadline for filing in ebay 30 days from the start or end of the period?

3. does the uploading of the track number affect the chances of getting the money back? can the seller claim CP lost it, is delayed, etc?

4. removed listing means I / others can't give neg FB?

5. will I get a refund for certain if I go through ebay or paypal?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

file for refund in ebay or paypal? CP track number created affect getting money returned?

If you haven't received any item by the estimated date, file and Item Not Received with eBay.  The details really aren't important.

Ian

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:

Item indicated "shipped" in Purchase History on 03/30
says delivery Thu, Apr 02 - Fri, Apr 17

1. is it better to file the dispute in ebay or paypal?

2. is the deadline for filing in ebay 30 days from the start or end of the period?

5. will I get a refund for certain if I go through ebay or paypal?

Works best to start with eBay.

eBay provides 30 days to file for item-not-received after the last date. So for this purchase, April 18 to May 17 for you to open a case to get your money back.

https://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

If you need to ask eBay to step in, mention that the listing had been removed by eBay.

PayPal protection is for 180 days (about 6 months) from the time you paid for your purchase. Use this if you are past the eBay time limit.

-..-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Either the seller shipped the masks* or he didn't.

As long as you have the eBay transaction number (which is also on your PP payment) you can open an eBay Dispute if the masks do not arrive by the last estimated date for arrival eBay gave you.

Which was April 17.

You have 30 days after the delivery deadline for this.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

State in the Dispute that the listing has been removed from eBay.

Don't get into a conversation with the seller.

All you want is your money back. No replacements. No further waiting.

If you miss the deadline, you can still go to Paypal for 180 days from payment.

The PP system is pretty much the same, but start with eBay, since eBay will not entertain a dispute if you have already lost a PP dispute.

And you can also as a third and last option go to the credit card you back your PP account with and enquire about a chargeback. Card policies differ.

However, if you go to the card first, neither eBay nor PP will entertain your dispute if you go there later.

*There is also the possibility that you receive something other than masks or your masks are short-shipped or unusable. Then the Dispute becomes Not As Described.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

For the record, Ontario CA, is a town in California.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@clemowbooks wrote:

For the record, Ontario CA, is a town in California.

It's also a province in Canada.

eBay's display of the location in a listing, depend a lot on what the seller supplies.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

There was a whinge on dotCOM yesterday about a Chinese company which was apparently either warehousing in Ontario, California or had an office there and was using that as their location, while shipping from Hong Kong.

The town seems to be a popular location for warehousing and for freight forwarding.

CA should be read as California if looking on dotCOM.

This is what a Canadian location looks like on dotCOM.

Item location: Maple, ON, CA, , Canada
and on dotCA
Item location:  Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I couldn't find an Ontario Canada location quickly, but hope this gives you the picture.
In both cases, Canada is spelled out.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I thought the track number, which starts with 400, was a CP label. 

The track info on CP site says "The sender has created a shipping label for this item and has sent us electronic information. We’ll continue to update the tracking status once we process your item."

I filed for a refund with ebay.  The seller reply is that he updated the info with

"Carrier UBI" as if that does anything.  There is still nothing else in the track info - parcel still not scanned.

ebay says I can ask them to step in 05/03.  I thought it was 3 days - is that 3 business days?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:

ebay says I can ask them to step in 05/03.  I thought it was 3 days - is that 3 business days?

Deadline has been extended to 5 days because of covid-19

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Announcements/Temporary-changes-to-timelines-for-Returns-and-Claims-dur...

UBI Group is an organization of Chinese freight forwarding companies.

-..-

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Because eBay is an American company 05/03 would be May third (Sunday).

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

UBI = China

UBI will create CPC tracking number as once the items reaches Canada, it's handed over to CPC for final delivery. It's part of an agreement between UBI and CPC to fast track packages.

So your seller lied. Very doubtful you will receive by the estimated time.

I always check where seller is registered. The signs are obvious. Horribly chinglish name with either a year or random number appended, location is Hong Kong or China. (Hong Kong is merely a dropshipper who has someone in China deliver it). Also shipping prices based on CPC rates is usually wrong, like a large item that must go by parcel but they only charge $2-3 or the total price is $11-12 with free shipping.

I find these days you have to be a detective to avoid these guys. When I find a good seller I save them. Even if they are a little over priced I know I am getting good stuff.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply