have you filed too many claims against sellers?

well eBay welcome to the world of Internet theft… Biggest offenders are China but they also sell the most…

I've hit the all time high I wonder if anybody can beat this over 40% of all my transactions have been scams and lies and all of them China. I've got so many claims I wonder if eBay will kick me out and prevent me from shopping? Wouldn't that be interesting the honest victim punished.

I've had sellers take my money more than once and leave the system…

I've had many sellers claim they have a product and give me something else…

I even talk to a seller in advance to make sure can you imagine the nerve to say sure it's perfect and then I get an unusable product counterfeit

My most recent and it's actually still ongoing was another seller claiming to have an authentic product which took me extra time just to search for , I found a seller charging extra for it I purchase it and guess what? Yeah scammed… But there's more I had screenshots photos of there advertising… The product had an authentication code like a lottery ticket you scratch to see the security code I checked it on the authentic website it said it was a counterfeit. I even have that photo and I sent them all to the seller. Get this he said I was sick and for me to stop lying that's a quote… Can you believe the nerve there so unafraid of eBay

you ask why do I shop on eBay? Well at 40% personal scams I guess I'm a little bit gun shy now!

I admit I fall into the bracket where the Chinese can take advantage so easy. For example if you buy a book and it was a knock off it probably wouldn't matter. But I was buying electronics and more technical things. But for them to lie and be so brazen about it staggers my honest imagination. I really wish eBay could do something to stop it… Sadly being on eBay is like a Chinese Mafia …buyer should definitely beware.

I would like to hear from you. This is just my short story believe it or not. I wonder if eBay will ban this posting they better not as I am conducting myself fairly and respectfully and honestly.

It's a tough world where thieves hide around every eBay corner… It's actually Internet wide in large retail homes like eBay Amazon things like that eBay just happens to be huge

Thanks everyone I would love to hear something from you.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

EBay has a Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You have 30 days from delivery (or estimated last date for delivery) to open a Dispute for Not Received or Not As Described.

If you pass that deadline, you can open Disputes with Paypal. The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the seller does not send return shipping, with tracking, for a Not As Described return, you will be refunded.

If the item is shown by tracking to have been delivered to the seller, you will be refunded.

However.

Yes, eBay will refuse the privilege of the Money Back Guarantee to buyers who open "too many" disputes.

To avoid this.

READ FEEDBACK.

Any feedback under 98% is questionable. 95% is horrible. If the seller is overseas, don't buy from any seller with less than 99% positive feedback. *

Very large sellers can have a customer base that is basically quite happy with their purchases, but still have a lot of negative and neutral feedback because: ratios.

Read the negs and neuts for patterns.

If the FB is about a particular product's quality, don't buy that product.

If many mention slow or no delivery, move on.

If many mention low quality on many different products, move on.

BTW, feedback makes no difference to a seller's status with eBay. It is purely the opinion of customers, nothing more. Leaving feedback is not a way of getting a problem solved.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Both sellers and buyers need to do "due diligence".  Low prices may mean low quality. 

*Some people can't be satisfied, so allow a tiny bit of slack for that.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946  

Unfortunately the new normal with feedback is it DOES NOT always reference the item receiving negative or neutral feedback. This would be very helpful for future customers interested in the quality of an item they are potentially interested in along with the quality of service a seller provides.

Examples: 

1. Worked fine first use. Died the second time I tried to use it. Poorly made.

2. Adapter does not work with my tablet.....Which tablet??

-Lotz

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Having a the title of the purchase as part of the feedback is definitely useful.

Thsi does appear unless the FB is Private.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I have been having some problems with a few Chinese sellers of handcraft items.  Delays and runarounds.

I worry about the same ting - that eBay will see me as a constant complainer but my complaints are valid. My Feedback shows my honesty. See my discussion on Feedback Time Limits - they do not help making the dishonest sellers accountable.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Feedback is not used by eBay to assess seller accounts.

Only the Disputes and Claims through the Resolution Centre do that.

You do not have to wait until the item arrives to leave feedback, although it is meant to comment on the entire, completed process.

A FB like "Paid 1/4/19 Not rec'd 20/5/19" is acceptable.

But also look at the seller's handling and shipping time. Overseas sellers often use the very cheap but very slow Surface services.

It is worthwhile to pass those by and pay more for tracked Air Mail shipping.

Most good Chinese sellers seem to be using DHL these days and offer very good rates.

If they don't say Air Mail, look for the shorter shipping time.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Can you stop buying from China? That's the risk factor, here, really...

As a buyer and a seller on ebay, I can tell you not to worry about too many disputes. If you're reported, ebay will contact you to allow you to explain. And even if you didn't explain, they still wouldn't do anything! I just had to refund a shady buyer I reported to ebay that has TONS of refunds and INRs (he is from the US and buys video games from Canadians who don't use tracking. Waits 3 weeks and asks for the refund). Buyers have all the power on ebay.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

in response to teenytrinkets

I never really thought about your story that buyers can be dishonest but I guess that's a bit naïve. But I only say this because of my outstanding honesty I never think the flipside that other people can take advantage of sellers.

I'm also finding in the comments so many people are talking about feedback when my case with eBay is about sellers that are truly criminal. Sellers that take my money and leave the system that was multiple times… Sellers that I communicate with trying to get honest information and they still lie and cheat me with fraudulent products… It's much more than 40% of my dealings with Chinese sellers who are stealing and being criminal… That and my concern that making so many claims was my issue.

I really do not feel comfortable on eBay not one single bit… I even wonder if China owns eBay because eBay keeps safe harbors all these Chinese criminals, which is all to common There are good sellers I understand I had great honor almost friendship with the French Australian and Canadian sellers that I have done business with. Joking with each other and doing multiple sales… But not the Chinese

Also I'm really sorry to hear your trouble with certain buyers… I really wish better fortune for you and a very nice day

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

When you open a Dispute- available for 30 days after the last estimated date for delivery- the first suggestion is to Contact the Seller.

If you've already done that, just skip it. Not a requirement, just a suggestion.

If you do Contact the seller all you want is the date of shipping, the service used and the tracking number.

Well, actually what you want is a refund, but....

If the tracking number shows the item to be in Canada, it's worth waiting a few more days.

If there is no number, or if the number shows the item still in transit, or if the seller offers a replacement, immediately ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

There is no reason to get involved in a conversation with the seller.

If the seller cannot prove delivery, you will be refunded.

There is a system. It works.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

on that point… EBay does not make dishonest sellers accountable… This is weird because I can find dishonest sellers so easy because of the area of purchases I do… Technical stuff though I have seen criminal activity in a wide variety of areas.

I don't know how eBay operates what kind of money they receive having sellers on their worldwide network… There must be some kickback that makes these complaints against the criminals negligent to eBay. As for creepy people hiding behind the Internet it truly is rampant on big sales outlets like eBay Amazon etc.

The point I'm making is there so many criminals that pay absolutely no consequences I wonder how the system even operates this way. So much money being made off the backs of honest buyers that it is overlooked? Or what? In the end I will say it is a sad world when so much illegal activity is so common.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I don't know how eBay operates what kind of money they receive having sellers

Go to My eBay-> Selling at the top of your page.

That will show you what information a seller gets about her account.

Basically fees can be seen here.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/selling/ebay-stores.html#packages-pricing

for sellers with Stores.

Other sellers get Fifty Free Listings each month and pay 35 cents each for any others they upload.

And pay 10% of the selling price plus 10% of the shipping cost for sold items.

There are occasional promotions that give discounts or free listings.

There must be some kickback that makes these complaints against the criminals negligent to eBay.

Do you mean unimportant? Claims lost mean a seller gets a Defect. Defects lead to raised fees, restrictions on the number and value of listings, and eventually closed accounts.

Also eBay undoubtedly has insurance, just as your neighbourhood convenience store has insurance against shoplifting and accidents.

But Claims also mean a buyer loses faith in eBay and that is more expensive than payouts on false Claims.

Part of this thread is about big Chinese sellers. But it is still worth noting that those sellers with hundreds of negative feedback* also have thousands of happy customers and thousands more satisfied enough not to leave feedback.

But it helps if the buyer bypasses sellers with less than 99% positive feedback. And reads the negs for patterns of poor service.

criminals that pay absolutely no consequences

When a seller loses a Claim, she gets a Defect. This can lead to higher fees, restrictions on the number and value of listings, or closure of the selling account.

*And negative feedback often means the customer did not bother with a Claim that would have refunded her.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I find this kind of surprising. I actually prefer to deal with the Chinese vendors as I find them easy to deal with. I have made about 100 purchases from China, and only had issues with 2 purchases. In the rare case that there is an issue ebay takes care of me. I honestly can't believe 40 % of your purchases from China have problems. I have less issues with them than U. S sellers, and the stuff I buy are things like gemstones which theoretically have a higher chance of getting scammed than electronics.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Even Paypal doesn't seem to care about scam sellers from China.

I bought something a couple of years back from a (reputable looking) website using PayPal. They made it look like it was coming from the US. It wasn't....it was China. I didn't find this out until all emails were ignored. When I filed an INR, it was responded to right away with a fake tracking number. I reported it fake to Paypal, a long with a list of similar websites this person appeared to be operating as a scam. I got my money back - but this guy still has his websites out there. Did Paypal report him or investigate him? I have no idea who has jurisdiction over these matters.

But the moral of the story is, we as buyers have protection, so we can take care of ourselves. I just wish there was a way we could protect or warn other buyers, because ebay and paypal appear to be doing nothing to deal with the scammers...
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Most people are honest.

And that includes most Chinese sellers. You will get what you pay for, just don't expect to get more than what you pay for.

You are not going to get a 10K diamond for a loonie and free shipping.

We do see a lot of problems with Chinese sellers on the Boards, but there are a lot of Chinese sellers, the Boards are where unhappy buyers come, not the happy ones, and eBay is really not clear enough about how to get refunds on unacceptable merchandise.

That being said, a 2% failed transaction rate would be considered high. Most businesses get worried if the rate goes over 1%, and that includes shoptheft, employee theft, and floor damage. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Really you consider 2% failure a high amount? Geez I am glad you're not my boss 😁 I work for one of the biggest furniture suppliers in Canada, and I'm pretty sure the defect rates are at least 2% or more. What businesses can you walk in to (including grocery stores and restaurants) do you have a great experience and get exactly what you want 98 % of the time? If you bought 100 cups of coffee from a local coffee shop over the course of a year, are you telling me they would maybe only mess up 1 or 0 cups of coffee? Not saying you're wrong, but geez you run a tight ship 😅
Message 15 of 15
latest reply