lost money on refund

I won a bid on a hair laser, both gen 3 and gen 4 look the same, the seller on the specification page stated that it was the 4th gen, i payed immediately after winning, the day after i found out by researching that the laser was in fact the 3rd gen and told the seller and they proceeded to refund me, in the refund i lost about $10 cad, the item was in usd, last month ebay refunded my money when a seller did not ship my item for over a month(also payed in $ cad for an item in usd) and was refunded exactly what i payed for, not a cent more or less,i want to know why i lost money on this refund? and what should i do to get back the money i lost? it was not my mistake, it was the seller's mistake, why should i lose money?i know $10 cad is not a lot, but what if it was $100?in my opinion it's wrong that the buyer has to lose money because of the seller's wrong product description 

what would you do if you were the seller? if i was the seller i would send the money the buyer lost, but this seller told me to contact ebay and paypal, and that they also lost money in the refund process

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

lost money on refund

If you buy in USdollars as you would from a seller on the dotCOM site, you will be refunded in US dollars.

But unless you also have an American* bank account attached to your Paypal account, when the money is paid by you, it will be converted to US dollars to pay the seller. PP charges a fee for this.

When you are refunded, the seller refunds in US dollars the exact amount that you paid, but it will be converted to loonies before being deposited in your PP account or in your Canadian bank or your credit card.

Further, the cost of buying a foreign currency is different from the cost of selling a foreign currency.

Play with this website a little on different days, to see how the buy/sell rates will change over time.
https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

*NOT a Canadian bank account in US dollars.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply