outrageous shipping fees

shibi68
Community Member

How can a buyer charge 20$ within the same Province? he's probably close to the destination.   Had a few interactions with him and he apologized and said how about 6$ would you buy it and I responded absolutely!  So, I'm waiting, waiting, waiting....finally he sends another email and he says "done" I check and check.....he never changes it....I get an email from a different seller but its the same item and he tells me shipping price is firm...WHAT THE HELL!!!!!! How can that happen???

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

outrageous shipping fees

Hard to say whether $20 is outrageous when you give no indication of weight/size.

For me to send a parcel across the street in Ontario the Canada Post's calculator gives...

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

500g -- $14.97 (including 13% HST)

2 kg -- $17.29 (including 13% HST)

If it is lightweight and less than 2cm thick it can go as Canada Post oversize lettermail for $2.20 (100g) to $6.30 (500g) -- assuming 15% HST.

Of course, smarter and/or bigger sellers look for ways to help trim those shipping costs.

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

outrageous shipping fees

Does he want to use tracking?  That immediately doubles or triples the cost of shipping.

Does he want Signature Confirmation?  Add another $1.75.

The value of the contents makes no difference to Canada Post (or UPS or FedEx). The weight, dimensions and distance do as well as choosing Surface or Air shipping.

It's a quickly learned lesson among sellers, that only the seller can choose the shipping method.

This is one of the few Seller Protections we have.

And we tend to be very suspicious of buyers who want a cheaper, and usually less secure, shipping service.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

outrageous shipping fees

Hey Dennis,

Its a few crazy bones!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply