paying twice for shipping

glcon88
Community Member

i bought a vest from England and paid for shipping to me in Canada.  there are two  retired people at this address and they said know one home....bull**bleep**.  so they then said nondeliverable, i can see that.  but what they did next is just plain stupid.  i paid for shipping to Canada and when they couldn't  they handed it off to Fed/Ex in the USofA.   And now they want me to pay US duty to deliver the package back to me in Canada.  Just for your information we have shippers in Canada to you know,  honest ones who aren't double billing.  i wonder who else is involved in this little racket?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Was it originally Fedex that tried to deliver the package? Since the item was delivered from the UK, it's likely that they were going to collect duty and tax for Canadian customs so I suspect that's what they are asking for now. I doubt that there is any double billing going on.  What is the total value of the purchase?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@glcon88 wrote:

i bought a vest from England and paid for shipping to me in Canada.  there are two  retired people at this address and they said know one home....bull**bleep**.  so they then said nondeliverable, i can see that.  but what they did next is just plain stupid.  i paid for shipping to Canada and when they couldn't  they handed it off to Fed/Ex in the USofA.   And now they want me to pay US duty to deliver the package back to me in Canada.  Just for your information we have shippers in Canada to you know,  honest ones who aren't double billing.  i wonder who else is involved in this little racket?

If you have the tracking number from Fedex you can use the toll free line for a full explanation and go from there as to how you would like to proceed. Make sure to check the option to speak to an agent. They have more detailed information on a packages status.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I agree that the "duty" charge is more likely whatever taxes, duties and processing fees are owed on the Canadian end.  Unless the vest is valued at more than US$800, there would be no duty on it.

My wife once ordered something from SE Asia that was handled by FedEx and it went up to Alaska, then Washington State before it ended up in Canada.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I agree that the "duty" charge is more likely whatever taxes, duties and processing fees are owed on the Canadian end.  Unless the vest is valued at more than US$800, there would be no duty on it.

My wife once ordered something from SE Asia that was handled by FedEx and it went up to Alaska, then Washington State before it ended up in Canada.

If it was processed properly, even with the US being involve duties and taxes would be based on final destination only. Item would be in technically "In Bond", for furtherance to final destination. If you ship something Internationally from Canada (going to a country outside of USA) with Fedex it would be same situation and still move through the Memphis hub.

As a side, we used to ship commodities to USA for tradeshows not intended for sale. Duties and taxes did not apply on return...As long as we could confirm nothing was sold.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

As I always do before replying to a post, I take the time to fully read it...

@glcon88 wrote:

...then if it sounds more like a "Rant".

I go look at the profile of the poster like the FB left for their Sellers. This post is a rant, not a request for assistance.

How was the item shipped from the UK, did your seller use FedEx?

If it was Canada Post they would have left you a card telling you where to pick up your item...

What was the value of the item you purchased?

The response to the above would clarify exactly what the payment request is for, I say it's Duty, Taxes, and the Processing Fee.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

I go look at the profile of the poster like the FB left for their Sellers. This post is a rant, not a request for assistance.

Many of us board regulars try to keep in mind that these discussion boards are somewhat like The Truman Show with many users reading them for information as well as entertainment purposes.  Even if ranters choose not to take on board the information or suggestions in the post, others reading the thread might.

The real issue is what we're dancing around here, of course.  I strongly suspect that communication problems are at the crux of the matter.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply