Can I cancel my purchase when buying throug Global shipping if I think the shipping cost is too high

sylvenet
Community Member

I have never use Global shipping.. While paying for an item that uses Global shipping do we get a chance to cancel the purchase if we see that the shipping cost is too high?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can I cancel my purchase when buying throug Global shipping if I think the shipping cost is too high

Yes.

Before you complete your Paypal payment. Just don't click if the total is too high for your liking.

And remember your seller is probably using US dollars so do the arithmetic.

If the item is showing on your Items Purchased list, contact the seller and ask for a Mutual Cancellation. When her request arrives, agree immediately. If you need a reason it would be 'Buyer Changed Mind."

Agreeing releases both you and the seller from the transaction and she gets her selling fees back. (These can run 20% of your payment, so this is important to her.)

Now it gets complicated.

Please note that some sellers do not know that they are signed up for the Global Shipping Program. EBay was automatically putting new sellers into the program for a while there.

It is a measure of how few Canadian buyers these sellers get that nearly two years after the GSP was implemented, some sellers are just now seeing their first GSP-linked sales.

If you still want the item, but with a lower shipping cost, you can ask the seller to make a private auction for you using your name as the title, and changing the shipping to USPS First Class International, which gives her Delivery Confirmation if she prints the label online.

But :

The USPS service is not particularly cheap.

Canadian Border Services may still charge Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes on your purchase when it crosses the border. (This kicks in at $20 CDN or about $16 USD.) And Canada Post will charge $9.95 service fee for border wrangling.

So even using USPS may not be cheaper, just less convenient, especially if the item cost over $100.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Yes.

Before you complete your Paypal payment. Just don't click if the total is too high for your liking.

And remember your seller is probably using US dollars so do the arithmetic.

If the item is showing on your Items Purchased list, contact the seller and ask for a Mutual Cancellation. When her request arrives, agree immediately. If you need a reason it would be 'Buyer Changed Mind."

Agreeing releases both you and the seller from the transaction and she gets her selling fees back. (These can run 20% of your payment, so this is important to her.)

Now it gets complicated.

Please note that some sellers do not know that they are signed up for the Global Shipping Program. EBay was automatically putting new sellers into the program for a while there.

It is a measure of how few Canadian buyers these sellers get that nearly two years after the GSP was implemented, some sellers are just now seeing their first GSP-linked sales.

If you still want the item, but with a lower shipping cost, you can ask the seller to make a private auction for you using your name as the title, and changing the shipping to USPS First Class International, which gives her Delivery Confirmation if she prints the label online.

But :

The USPS service is not particularly cheap.

Canadian Border Services may still charge Canadian duty and Canadian sales taxes on your purchase when it crosses the border. (This kicks in at $20 CDN or about $16 USD.) And Canada Post will charge $9.95 service fee for border wrangling.

So even using USPS may not be cheaper, just less convenient, especially if the item cost over $100.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply