Shipping rate increase at checkout. Already paid it. Heip.

Today I won an auction on an item that clearly states $1.61 U.S. shipping to Canada. So I go in and rush through the PayPal thing as I was heading out to the store. Later I look at the item and realized I paid $6.16 U.S. shipping to Canada. And no, I wasn't looking at shipping to U.S. On the purchased item page it clearly shows $1.61 shipping to Canada. I contacted the seller and they said they were "honest" and googled the shipping charge and it wasn't on the listing for that price. It clearly is, right there in black and white. They said they would refund the difference if it came to less than $6.16 U.S. What kind of a shopping venue allows you to charge over the listed price!??? Unfortunately I didn't catch it before checkout. Is there anything I can do? Report seller, or maybe open an item not as described case with PayPal? Any info would be helpful. Has this ever happened to you? Doesn't seem like a legal way to run a site. List low and charge high on postage. If the shipping charge was that high, I probably wouldn't have bid on it. GRRRRR!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

If the US seller has enabled the Global Shipping Program (and many do not know that they have) the $5 difference is about the amount of the 'service charge' Pitney Bowes, which runs the program for eBay,  makes.

Were you using a mobile device when you ordered?

The GSP note doesn't show up on phones.

Customs services and international tracking provided

But if you cross check on a desktop or laptop it will.

Ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation, since you find the price too high. Agree immediately that it shows up and both of you will be released from the transaction.

Sellers are not supposed to use the GSP for items valued under $50USD, but not only did eBay sign up thousands of new sellers without telling them, but eBay does nothing to warn sellers that their item is not suitable for inclusion in the program. So this is not necessarily your seller's fault.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Actually, had nothing to do with global shipping. Seller states E-Bay made the mistake on shipping charge not her (Really?). Then she says she will suck it up and ship it. She refunds excess postage bringing the postage back to $1.61 U.S. But the plot thickens, Next day she E-mails me saying she isn't going to ship the item and she can't afford to pay me the , get this under $14 refund because her Pay Pal was empty. Said I would have to wait until she got more sales to get a refund. Opened a case with PayPal. Will escalate in 4 days. Sellers like this just shouldn't be on E-Bay. They are crafty but they also turn people away from the site. E-Bay should be a little more observant when it comes to a fraudulent transaction. More than listed shipping being charged should automatically be a red flag and an automated tick box with "do you accept this extra charge yes or no " before a transaction can take place. That way, everyone would be protected for a little inconvenience. I know I should have been more observant at check out. Disappointed as a seller that others get away with this and a buyer being robbed at check out.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As a side note, I was on a lap top. I did state if she couldn't ship for stated price to cancel order. After she checked at the post office it was more to ship. Said she wouldn't pay it. Just some ya hoo with extremely limited resources and morals. I stay away from all global shipping if there's a charge for the bid price. Bought plenty of items over the limit. Never received a bill from the Gov. yet.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I also sell on E-Bay, Etsy, and my own site, so I get the rules. It's the red tape for oddball instances like this that irk me.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Seller sent a bunch of angry E-mails. She still hasn't paid me and has relisted the item. Whaaat???? Is this allowed? Have a case open with PayPal I can escalate on Monday. Gave a bad review due to the nasty E-mails and not refunding me before relisting. And oh no, she blocked me, how will I ever get over this??? We'll wait and see on Monday. This may be helpful to someone else in the same situation. Keep you informed.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Still under an open Pay Pal case until Monday and seller relisted and sold the item I legally purchased on E-bay. Not quite sure how this will go. Probably just a refund now. So as a seller, I guess you can sell an item and if you have a dubious side and don't like the auction price you receive, just relist and get more. (she only received about $0.20 more, incredulously) Anyway, to all the sellers, don't worry too much about listing practices because, apparently, it takes a few of these before you ever really get anything more than a warning. E-Bay please take notice, there are loopholes for this type of thing that makes it hard to report, and frustrating for an honest buyer. Items that have been paid for and the seller refuses to ship or refund after asking for more money should have their own reporting section. Cases like these are occasionally popping up in the forums and this type of activity should be better addressed. Will finish up with how it all ends Monday.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I hope this helps someone else. PayPal sided with me and returned my money. For people in this situation I suggest: If the seller decides to resell or keep your item AND does not refund you 1. Talk to the seller first and try to get your money or item. Seller will generally let you know a refund will come shortly. 2. If seller refuses to refund your money and makes up a bunch of excuses why, IMMEDIATELY open an item not received case. From there, you will have four days to "discuss" the situation on a message board. This isn't always pleasant, but does accomplish the task at times. 3. State the day auction ended, the day purchased, amount of item and cost of shipping. This is what I did so the situation was clear. There are no mediators, and I was called a barrage of names. Don't expect someone to step in if things get rude. I didn't have to escalate as the case was closed and I received payment on the last day. 4. On the fifth day escalate claim if you still haven't received money. Please be aware your item, although still paid for by you, apparently can be relisted by the seller and sold on you. Do they get in you know what? Probably not that much, as my seller is still selling. So if seller decides to list your item, don't get too upset as this apparently isn't monitored by anyone at the time. Just resolve yourself to the fact the item is no longer a bargaining tool and focus on your repayment. Don't forget to leave a review to help warn others about your bad experience. It is not a waste of time as the sellers rating drops and others may look to see why.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

From your comments:

She still hasn't paid me and has relisted the item. Whaaat???? Is this allowed?

No.

But it is really not possible to force a seller to ship. EBay can only penalize those that don't.

I gather she paid you at the last possible moment. I hope you left appropriate feedback (most effective if calm and factual) and Detailed Seller Ratings.

As a seller yourself, you know that DSRs are more important than feedback. ONE Star is the lowest rating, not no stars.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Did you know your comments are basically invisible unless the reader chooses to open them. And many don't even realize they are there.

When adding to your posts, click on Reply instead.

I don't understand why Comments even exists.

And I agree, this sort of seller does not belong on eBay. You know how Detailed Seller Ratings work right? The lowest Rating is ONE Star. If the seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 there will be all sorts of fallout for her.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply