Seller promised Prority but used Media Mail via GSM to Canada-no movement. Advice?

background:

I bought a book/audio(cassette) out of print language learning set from a seller in Texas. They had it advertised for GSM (Global Shipping Program) set at Priority Mail for Canada . I paid $18+ usd for shipping.   I'm in Toronto and the seller is in Texas.

When I bought it on Nov 25 I got no response and the person did not ship it. I emailed them and waited.  No response at all but I did not worry since Nov 26 was US Thanksgiving --I thought they would respond to me.  Seven days later they had not responded or shipped anything so I put in a claim as INR (item not recieved) on the advice of a Ebay support (I've never done a claim before).

The Texan seller  then responded immediately , apologized  and shipped it (Dec 4 it was picked up by USPS). The Texan also asked me to close the claim as 'satisfied'.

(Meanwhile, Ebay staff advised me to keep the claim open (which I did) until I actually get the package. I believe claims stay open for 30 days and then are automatically closed (in whose favor I don't know, I've never needed to do a claim before--though Ive been on eBay since 2001 )).

I then recieved  the USPS and GSM numbers on my dashboard and waited. The last USPS updated was Dec 8. Today  is Dec 16 with no updates. Last one was in Dallas (on way to KY center).

I thought that was strange since I paid for Priority and it should have went to the GSM center in Erlanger Kentucky quicker even during this time.

PLOT TWIST:

As a matter of fact I have a current similar purchase (also an out of print book/audio(CD) lang set from a similar lang learning series) from another seller,  a lady in Clinton, Arkansas who advertised the same way: GSM to Canada and Priority shipping.  I bought that on dec 9 she shipped it next day with usps --its been updated regularly and is already at the Kentucky Pitney Bowes center. It was also $18+ usd for shipping (advertised as Priority shipping to Canada via GSM).    But she on the other hand kept her advertised promise and actually *DID* ship it via Priority. When I input her usps number it states that this is "Priority mail" and is insured for $50 etc. So Im waiting for hers with no problems.

I just inputed the Texan sellers number into the same official  USPS tracking site and it states "media mail".   Now I did not notice this earlier because from the Ebay dashboard "order details" it states "priority mail" but once you input the number to usps site its a different story. 

Now here is an added wrinkle:  Since this (the first order --the Texan sellers item) is going to take a long time to reach KY (usps media mail Im told is treated to the slowest movement) and status has not been updated since Dec 8 what should I do?

If I wait too long the case will be auto-closed (I think) on the 30th day after dec 2 (so around Jan 1 New Years) but I don't know what happens at that point.     From another thread I read that if its been 10 days with no movement then you should close the case and ask for a refund or call eBay to close the case and ask for a refund. 

Now I have no intention of keeping the full refund if the item eventually arrives (though I think I should get some sort of partial refund for the difference between media mail and priority).   If I contact eBay on say Dec 18-19 (ie. 10 days no updates from Dec 😎 and they give me a full refund plus PB (Pitney Bowes ) shipping fees and the item eventually DOES arrive I would  *immediately* contact eBay to reverse the refund at that time. 

What do you think?   Should I do the above?   Or just wait until the time  runs out and it closes automatically around New Years day  (whether its arrived or not) --though in that case I dont know what the eBay decision would be.  Or wait some more until its updated but before the case closes  or etc ?  I really dont know what I should do . Im a good buyer and paid in good faith.  Please advise.

Also :  if the Texan seller had been honest and done what the Arkansas seller did this would have been avoided. AND if I hadn't opened a case so early there would have been more time allowance for the Texan seller.

other details:

I paid via credit card directly to eBay (not PayPal because I had inputed a new cc from the expired one and it had not been verified yet and PP did not let me use it until verification which would not have been for several days)

Please pardon this long post!  Any help would be appreciated

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

The seller is confused and it is making him angry. Maybe he needs a Snickers.

He is paid to ship to KY. But your payment also covers Canadian duty and sales taxes as well as a ~$5USD and that is what you would be refunded.

And this is where he messed himself up by cheaping out on Media Mail.

If the book had arrived on time at Erlanger KY, he would not be refunding anything, because once it is in the hands of the GSP, his job was done*.

But he saved himself money by shipping by Media Mail.

Too bad, so sad.

He may be able to discuss getting the payment of import fees returned but that is another question entirely.

I'm sure you don't want to know the technicalities of paying import fees vs paying duty and sales tax. Best not to think about it.

You are not responsible to him for how much of his money was used for your refund.

He should be talking to Customer Support for that.

You do not need to communicate with him further if you have your payment back.

He made his bed, he has to lie in it.

I am old and cranky.

and states for that I will get "International Priority".  

That's one of the generic terms eBay uses to cover all the various and sundry services offered by sellers all around the world.

It is basically meaningless.

It might even cover a slow boat from China.

*Well, if he had sent you a Beanie Baby instead of the book, he would be responsible for that, but not for delivery-- or damage in transit from KY to Canada.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

If a seller is sending directly to you with Priority, their listing would specify USPS Priority International.  But International Priority (note it does not specify  USPS) through the gsp is not specific service, it is just a term that the gsp uses. A seller using the gsp generally sends the item to Kentucky the same way that they would have sent the package domestically. Your one seller probably stated that they were using Priority for domestic mail so that’s what they used for your package to Kentucky.

Your current seller shows first class domestically for that package so that is what they should have used, not media mail.  Unfortunately right now, in some parts of the US the parcels are running slow regardless of the service being used.  Their listings shows that they have a 3 business day handling so if they mailed your package afterDec 1, they mailed it late.

One thing that I’m confused about..where did you open a case after just 7 or so days and was it an item not received case?  The est. delivery time on that listing  is14-18 business days so you shouldn’t have been able to open a claim until then.

if you did open a claim on eBay, it should tell you in the claim when you have to ask ebay to step on by.   If you don’t ask them to step on your then and they close the case, they would assume that you got the item or a refund since you did not ask them for help.  Don’t wait for the case to close on its own or you will be out the money.  But if possible,  I would wait a while longer to ask ebay to help because the mail is slow right now and the gsp is slower than usual too.  The seller hasn’t been doing a great job so far but I would still wait a bit longer.   

btw. If you are refunded and then you get the item, eBay can’t reverse the refund.  The seller would have to invoice you again.

So maybe that means it has not been escalated into 'claim' mode? And its listed on "returns and cancelled orders" section. Very confusing. I might have to call eBay staff.

That might be because it was not opened in the Resolution Centre as Item Not Received?

EBay gave you a last estimated date for delivery.  That is when a Dispute can be opened.

Then the 30 day clock starts ticking.

And yes, you can escalate it to a Claim and get your refund.

Make sure you mention in the Dispute and the Claim that this is a GSP* related claim.

If the seller and GSP cannot prove delivery (not shipping, Delivery) you will be refunded.

Bonus.

If the purchase is delivered later, GSP does not want it back.

The only problem with this is that the seller who started the problem gets off scot-free. Once it has been delivered to the KY plant, his job is over.

Still this is business, not a game. Fair doesn't necessarily come into it.

Now I have no intention of keeping the full refund if the item eventually arrives (though I think I should get some sort of partial refund for the difference between media mail and priority)

Except, the GSP is a Seller Protection Program. Once delivered to Erlanger KY, his job is done and he keeps your payment.

And GSP doesn't want it either because it will mess up their bookkeeping costing more than whatever you refund.

Consider a charitable donation.  Food banks are feeling pretty desperate these days.

Note that you are also covered by Paypal against problem purchases. Their Resolution Centre allows Disputes for 180 days from Payment. So until mid-April.

And you are covered by the chargeback provisions of the credit card you back your PP account with.

So at some point you will be refunded, and you may get the purchase as well.

*Where do you get GSM from Global Shipping Program?